RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

If my rangie's 'heater core temp sensor' is out(rather not sensing anything or completely removed), would it stop the A/C compressor?
(I'm asking this simple q's is to avoid a looooooooong story about my A/C)

thanks & regds

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
viperover said:
No it wont stop comp operation.

What problems you having
Hi,
Thanks.
Part of the long story,
1. When I bought the rangie, the AC was fitted with a direct ON/OFF switch.
saying that HEVAC unit is faulty. :shock:
2. Recently I had a issue with the AC( a gas leak & now repaired :D ) and I found that the
a. Compressor pulls in even without gas 8-0=
b. the heater water line disconnected( hence my quary on heater temp sw)
c. but blower fans/ temp settings work through HEVAC unit
3. The repairman says it'll damage the comp, if it's to run without gas which I fully agree.
4. I know that HEVAC unit continously run the comp untill u press 'AC OFF' switch.
All I want to do is setup the original connections thro HEVAC unit, so that comp will be wired thro both pressure switches & that extra ugly :evil: switch can be thrown OUT , permanently.

regds

kapila

·
Registered
154 Posts
Kapila,

Have you sorted out your issues? And if you are looking for parts let me know.

My RR is in the garage awaiting repairs so i might be able to help you out in the mean time.

Regards,
Gayan

·
Registered
553 Posts
It sounds to me the previous owner was told what I was that the HEVAC is dead have a look at the direct on off switch that has been fitted chances are it is wired up to supply the compressor with 12v, if it is then the chances are good that the trinary pressure switch is dead. The trinarry switch measures the pressure in the system to see if its correct only then does it tell the HEVAC to turn the compressor on. There is another method to test the compressor it envolves removing the plug on the trinary and putting a jumper in to bypass the switch this should be done before turning the ignition on otherwise it wont work.

Do a little research on the forum under trinary pressure switch and if your still not sure ask again

·
Registered
865 Posts
kapilamuni said:
viperover said:

What problems you having

1. Possibly a faulty relay inside fuse box
2. a. Well that independant switch is supplying direct instead of via a pressure switch
b. Either the O rings on heater matrix have gone bad or the heater core itself is leaking.
c. Thats normal
3. 100% correct, hence why there's pressure switches in place
4. You said operates off a independant switch

You may have to replace both pressure switches up front and carry out a few tests to determine whts going on

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
viperover said:
kapilamuni said:
viperover said:

What problems you having

1. Possibly a faulty relay inside fuse box
2. a. Well that independant switch is supplying direct instead of via a pressure switch
b. Either the O rings on heater matrix have gone bad or the heater core itself is leaking.
c. Thats normal
3. 100% correct, hence why there's pressure switches in place
4. You said operates off a independant switch

You may have to replace both pressure switches up front and carry out a few tests to determine whts going on
Hi,
In item 4 , what I said was the actual position of standard Rangie setup.

BTW, If I remove the the pressure switches, will I disturb the gas inside?
Now, the system functions nicely & don't like to ask for trouble.
But still, I badly need to throw that switch away.

regds

kapila

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you remove the switch with the two wires you will only loss a touch of gas but only if you do it quickly. (inside is a valve)

The switch with four wires is the one where all the gas escapes, best have it recaptured by aircon guys and they should discount you when you re-charge the system as they do here.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
viperover said:
If you remove the switch with the two wires you will only loss a touch of gas but only if you do it quickly. (inside is a valve)

The switch with four wires is the one where all the gas escapes, best have it recaptured by aircon guys and they should discount you when you re-charge the system as they do here.
Hi,
Thanks for the info.
In that case, I can test only the 2 wire p/switch. :doh: Here, we don't have recapturing. If gas escapes u got to re-gas.
I'll wait untill a prob develops in the AC system , so that I can economically, check the p/switches during the repair.

regds

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you loop the two wire sensor the fans will run at low speed, havnt really played with four wire switch yet but it controls the AC comp and I think the high speed fan circuit...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts