RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I am going to skip ahead to where I am today; Heater blows cold air out drivers side and a little warmer out the passenger side. I have the interior disassembled enough to see and touch the heater core lines at the heater core. With the rig at normal operating temperature I can touch one of the lines and hold on to it for a long time. The other line is too hot to touch and hold but for a second or two. Am I correct in diagnosing this as needing to replace the heater core? Thanks!!

Rig is a 2008 Range Rover Sport

·
Registered
144 Posts
You should probably delete this post and use the search function. I will repost what I replied on your other post. Your issue is super common, there is an easy trick to replacing the core.

The heater core box is partitioned rt and left sides. Do a search and read all the posts. The coolant will flow in and out but not reach the drivers side of the heater core. Cut the lines, replace the core and refit with heater hose to couple the lines back together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should probably delete this post and use the search function. I will repost what I replied on your other post. Your issue is super common, there is an easy trick to replacing the core.

The heater core box is partitioned rt and left sides. Do a search and read all the posts. The coolant will flow in and out but not reach the drivers side of the heater core. Cut the lines, replace the core and refit with heater hose to couple the lines back together.
Sorry, someone said I was in the wrong page so I moved over.... But since I have you, why would I cut the lines? are they not attached with clamps right at the heater core?

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have an 09 and I had to cut the tubes near the core. The tubes are crimped on.

Anyway if you are that close to the heater core you should replace it while you are in there. Many sports suffer from this problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 09 and I had to cut the tubes near the core. The tubes are crimped on.

Anyway if you are that close to the heater core you should replace it while you are in there. Many sports suffer from this problem.
Thanks for the help! This is where I am at as of this afternoon. No sense in not replacing it now;)

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry, someone said I was in the wrong page so I moved over.... But since I have you, why would I cut the lines? are they not attached with clamps right at the heater core?
The lines wrap up and around to the firewall. If you ever do one they are in the way and cant be moved so you just cut them, replace the core and cut the new ones to the same size. (note l have seen some of the OE lines will not fit on aftermarket cores so use the lines that come with the new core.) Then refit with 2 pieces of heater hose and clamps. Makes the job pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A side note, I used Prestone cooling system flush and kept heat cycling the cooling system to move it around for 3 days. (I checked with Prestone tech assist to make sure it was fine to leave in there for a few days and they said it was harmless) needless to say it did clear it up a lot and probably would have got it all if left in there longer. I ended up replacing the heater core because it did not clear everything in that time frame and the customer and i were not going to wait any longer. I took the side tanks off the heater core to see how well it had worked and i was surprised it was almost totally free of build up. probably would have cleared it all if i had done it a few days longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
Special Ed
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing