RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 RRS was exhibiting all the classic symptoms of a blocked HC, i.e. hot on passenger side, lukewarm on the drivers side. I got quote of between $2,500 (independent) and $4,500 (JLR dealer) for a replacement. I only paid $10k for the car so this was a huge outlay. In the light of that I decided to try a backflush. Getting the hoses off was a royal PIA, but I was already there having just cleaned out a very gunky throttle body. I used a hose clip on the hoses to minimize coolant loss. I backflushed with a garden hose which was connected to a on/off in-line tap and a barbed fitting that went to 1ft of heater hose. The outlet (normally the inlet) was connected to another hose and then into a 5G bucket. I wanted to pump the outlet into the bucket to I could see exactly what was coming out of the HC. Oh my, there was lots of bits, initially quite a lot of small black pieces of plastic (the RR had a new water pump a couple of years back and I suspect there plastic pieces were from the disintegrated water pump). and scale. Later on in the flush it mainly scale. It took approximately 100 gallons for the majority of the crud to come out. I was modulating the water on and off every second of so with the inline tap to create some on/off pressure but this was a very laborious process. I then blew out all the water in the HD with an airline and connected a funnel to the inlet and filled the HC with pure white vinegar. I left that in there for an hour or so and then flushed another 20 gallons through the HC. What came out initially was very milky - I guess dissolved scale. Finally I filled up the HC with antifreeze and reconnected the inlet and outlet hoses, but the 'wrong' way around, so the inlet hose is connected to the outlet from the HC etc. I went for a 5 mile drive, initially no real change and then gradually over a couple of miles there was finally heat on the drivers side! I've run the RR a couple of times since then and I have good heat on both sides. I think the key here was persistence and the white vinegar to really clean the capillaries out. Now the question. I was told by the independent that when they do the HC replacement, they retrofit an in-line filter to stop debris from blocking the HC in the future. Does anyone have any experience or a recommendation of an aftermarket in-line filter? Now I only have to get the A/C working, flush the diff and transfer case fluid, flush the cooling system, flush the brake fluid, flush the power steering fluid, change the transmission oil to and repair the drivers-side seat bolster (it is split in 2-3 places, cheap vinyl)....

·
Registered
5 Posts
HAVING the exact same symtoms on my O8 RRS SC. Need to try this method. do you think the white vinegar vs a actual coolant cleaner bottle would be better? ANY CEL codes. or overheating? Been reading alot about this and cant seem to find a succesful HC flush with no problems afterwards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts