Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does coolant pass through the heater core and its o-rings if the HVAC system is set to a temperature that’s not ‘hot’? To clarify: does coolant always passing through the heater core - whether or not the HVAC system is engaged - or is the heater core automatically bypassed when hot air is not being requested? If the heater core is automatically bypassed, at what temperature setting is it bypassed or does the temperature at which it’s bypassed depend on the temperature outside? If the heater core is not automatically bypassed, can someone please direct me to instructions on how to manually bypass it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Download the RAVE and all questions like the ones just asked are answered by reading the relevant sections in the workshop manual.

To answer it: NO there is always flow through the heater matrix. There are no valves or any other devices to limit or stop the water flow. Inside your distribution box are two heat exchangers one is the heater matrix and the other the air conditioning evaporator. Blend flaps are used to tunnel the air through these heat exchangers to get the desired temperature at the ventilation outlets. This is in combination with your settings for recirculation or fresh air and air conditioning grant or not. Leds will flash to inform you if AC is required or can be left in the off position.

It is possible to set the blend motors to cooling or heating only. See the threads below:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/5959-running-hot-cold.html
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-...8-ac-heather-1998-2-5-dse-stop-working-2.html

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
This interests me too - would there be any harm in stopping the hot water flow to the heater matrix?

Is there a simple and safe way to do this without fitting a pipe to bypass the flow?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

Spiggy I have bypassed the heater matrix and so have many others here in Malaysia. Just cut off part of the hose going to the heatercore and fit it directly on the outlet of the return pipe after removing the hose to the heatercore outlet pipe.

An old photo with the BMW expansion tank in my car. You can see that the hose that is supposed to go to the heater matrix pipe is fitted directly to the return line.
The hose has the piece that was cut off wrapped around it to protect it from scuffing on the rockerarm cover.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

If you go back and take the car to Europe, just reconnect the pipes with the old hose you took off and buy a new one for the one that you cut.

There have been members here that have created a U-shaped tube and fitted that between the hoses after disconnecting them from the heater core pipes. If you do a search you should be able to find it. I remember that it was made from copper pipe soldered together.

Regards

Jos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.