RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 97 RRLR 4.0 and yesterday when I turned on the 'program' button for heat it blows only cold air. I realize that there are many possibilities including, bad thermostat, etc. but can anyone tell me is this a normal problem and what would be the most likely thing to check first? I checked fuses both at passenger side and under hood and both look ok. Thanks for any and all suggestions. :pray:

·
Registered
442 Posts
G;day mate, plenty of posts in the search on this.
Look at fluid level,top up and leave exspansion cap off start car and carefully press top hose to make sure recurcalation return hose has fluid squirting out of it into exspansion tank .,small black hose on top tank radiator LHS.
Has the temp gauge been ok,at normal posi
Let warm up to operating temp and turn off and feel around all hoses ,radiator,thermastat either side radiator face heater hoses for cold spots. Carefull Hot Hot Hot.The lower heater hose that links back to exspansion tank was a part of a recall ,if your hose is totally joined it has'nt been done if it has a Tee its been replaced.Landrover replacement kits ,Mines a 96 model and was done at a landrover dealership two years ago???????
1, water level may take a few days to purge check and refill daily till it needs no more/check for leaks or fluid being pushed out of exspanion overflow
2, check waterpump for slops ,
3,check viscous for slops and loosness in rotation,
4,remove and get flow test of radiator,
5, Buy new hoses and new thermastat
6, Use only quality coolant flush system out with tank water don't use tap water ,have to many cemicials in it flurides, chlorine, heavy metals,etc,etc and use distilled water premix and replace.for system and 1 litre for top ups
I like to use Red line WeterWater for etra insurance ,Google it and read there specs :thumb:

Purge system properly see other posts ,car facing uphill will exstract air from system ,refill and check daily as per per start of post to No1.

If thats fails then it maybe your heater core as the plastic top tank can ware a hole in the top tank divider and thus the hot water from the top inlet hose bypasses the heater straight across back out the lower outlet hose and thus no heater.
So there you go :thumb:
Not enough fluid / leaks
Therastat/Exspansion filler cap replace
Radiator
Heater core
Have fun
Regards Graeme

·
Super Moderator
2,311 Posts
Bit pointless asking a question of someone that last posted 9 years ago.....

·
Super Moderator
2,311 Posts
Depends what your problem is. Tell us what is happening (or not) and we might be able to help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Depends what your problem is. Tell us what is happening (or not) and we might be able to help.
Okay, so I am going to skip ahead to where I am today; Heater blows cold air out drivers side and a little warmer out the passenger side. I have the interior disassembled enough to see and touch the heater core lines at the heater core. With the rig at normal operating temperature I can touch one of the lines and hold on to it for a long time. The other line is too hot to touch and hold but for a second or two. Am I correct in diagnosing this as needing to replace the heater core? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
496 Posts
no if you can touch one and not the other you have no circulation ,check level it could just be low, it could also be blocked, try back flushing with the hoses from the motor end, can be restricted their as well especially if its had radiator sealers put in it
PS some times its the relays for the fans if one is not working it can be cold and drafty around your feet

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks! The water pump has been changed as well as the t-stat, I also bled the hell out of the system and am certain I got all the air out. System level is good.

Was just messing with climate control and heat on and slow fan setting I am getti g warm air out of passenger side and cold from drivers. If I turn the fan speed up it goes cold.

I am fairly certain the blend doors and fans are working as they should.

·
Super Moderator
2,311 Posts
As said, you need to backflush the heater core and then repair or replace the blend motors. You have poor flow through the heater core but if one side is getting hotter than the other that is a blend motor problem.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
496 Posts
the heater core is full flow all the time no restrictions. you need to fix that and then have the hevac system checked for alarms , can only be done with dedicated reader, nano or fault mate or equivalent readers , the average OBD2 reader will not do it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
yep, and with nano you can move that blend door (if it's working you will hear it too) and see if you can divert the heat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts