RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the my 1991 RRC (formerly known as Goldmember) yesterday on what has so far been the coldest day of the year (31F at 7am). After about a 1.5 miles on the road it became clear that he A/C and the Heat are running at the same time! I had the controls set to heat and Defrost. Heat coming out the top vents in the dash and nicely cooled A/C coming out of front of the dash!
After about 10 minutes messing with various setting its seems I get all or nothing! Any ideas for a solution?

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
Most likely your face vent switch is stuck. There's only two switches which allow both the a/c plenum and heater fans to run simultaneously. One is the dual mode lever position (horizontal lever on drivers side NAS, third position towards driver) and the other is the face vent lever (vertical lever drivers side NAS). You can gently pull the knobs off the levers, undo the screws on the front of the vent control panel, remove the facia and from there check and access these switches. I'm voting on the face vent switch. (unless your a/c compressor is truly running (check electric radiator fans))

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not sure about the Range Rovers,'cuz my AC don't work anyhow, but on most vehicles the AC compressor runs any time the selector is set to "Defrost", even with the temperature set to high, in order do dry out the air before it gets to the windshield. So maybe its a problem with the selector or related relays. Again, I'm not sure how all that works.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
RRC hard dash is old school, wicked old. The a/c system is a seperate independant air system. LR apparently realized the need to dry air out when heating the windshield in certain situations so they put in a feature to allow both systems to run simultaneously ("Dual" mode). The a/c is not integrated into the defrost. You have a choice of just heating incoming air and blowing it onto the windshield or pulling recirculated air conditioned cabin air into the heater and blowing it onto the windshield.

·
Registered
345 Posts
the ac motors are under pass side dash, make sure they are the problem , feel with hand when system is on, you'll feel fans running. My system used to blow cold and heat because the vent seal was bad,allowing air to enter through vents on decker panel. Dash vents are operated by lever on left of control panel, up for open down for closed. Try moving this a few times to reseal vents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts