RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new heated windscreen fitted last July. Now it only clears on the passenger side. Removed the plastic windscreen cover on the drivers side to get to the electrical connections.
Powered up the screen and power is okay to the drivers side, about 14 volts. Got massive resistance thru' the screen though, so contacted the windscreen repair company and they're coming back out next week to replace under warranty.
Interesting thing is, the screen has no chips so it must be an internal fail.
Guess that's what I get for letting them fit a non-genuine screen, this time he's promised me an OEM screen.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Mine was replaced 5 months ago and it left a 5" strip under the rear view mirror and another 2" strip on the passenger side. I'm having mine replaced next week under warranty. Unfortunately, the fitters don't test it. This time I'm going to use a steamer to test it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
just got mine replaced today coincidentally, oem... thats what i pay insurance for i suppose... hopefully its good.

·
Registered
483 Posts
At least they are changing it and not arguing.

Unless you have a nice big garage they can use though I would take it to them - the bonding glue is much better let to set in a warm dry environment. A pain for you but better in the long run.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine only works when it feels like it :roll:

How much is a new OEM screen?

I don't have screen cover so I will have to pay /:(

Sid.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
waveydavey said:
At least they are changing it and not arguing.

Unless you have a nice big garage they can use though I would take it to them - the bonding glue is much better let to set in a warm dry environment. A pain for you but better in the long run.
Thankfully I've got a big barn with plenty of room, so no problem there.....

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
57 Posts
Seems to be the most common failure mode for these - internal failure, even with OEM screens. Mine hasn't worked beyond a 2 inch wide strip on the pass side since I bought it.

Why are they so useless? I'm sure other manufacturers don't have this problem (ie Ford).

Guy

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
My '89 Ford with heated screen was still working fine after 15+years.
My '97 P38 screen has already been replaced (due to glass crack), but at that time had about 75% not working. About 18 months after it was replaced, the new screen has 15-20% not working... :( About 5-10% wasn't working when it was fitted, but I couldn't be bothered sending it back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts