RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Can someone share experiences and maybe some write-ups in how to retrofit a Heated Steering Wheel on my 2007 Range Rover Sport SC?

Would like to get a complete list (if possible) of the parts needed, and some relative cost of the entire kit.

Thank you.

-John

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
44 Posts
its not that big of a job, but the airbag is scary to take out. I would recommend going "all in' and put in the paddle shifters while you are at it.
there are two ways you can go, you can buy the separate parts or you can buy a used wheel or, there is a site, (no affiliation) pwrfunk or whatever uk that sells the competes and will let you return yours for credit Probably a few out there. Do you have specific questions
?

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
its not that big of a job, but the air bag is scary to take out. I would reccomend going "all in' and put in the paddle shifters while your at it.
there are two ways you can go, you can buy the seperate parts or you can buy a used wheel or, there is a site, (no affiliation) pwrfunk or whatever uk that sells the competes and will let you return yours for credit Probably a few out there. Do you have speicfic questions
?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would need to buy a new(er) wheel. Which do you guys recommend?

Aside from the wheel, what else do you have to get? (Wiring, brackets, etc). Where is a place where I can get them or maybe the kit if they come in one? I found PowerfulUK but did not see a “retrofit kit” on steering wheels.

I have changed steering wheels before and had to remove the airbag. I actually had to change the actual bag inside the cover on one occasion since the wheel I got it EU andhad a single stage air bag. Hopefully, that helps.

Any directions or photos of the retrofit?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
488 Posts
From my searches the above posts may be misleading as the photo supplied by rquinn12 shows a push start and that was not available on a pre-2009 RRS that I know of. There is a paddle shift upgrade kit available for 2003 -2005 L322 with nothing for L320 that I could find.
The heated steering wheel became a stand alone option on 2009 RRS HSE and supercharged models that already had cold weather pack. The likelihood is the wiring is not there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does the wiring on the retrofit get added? Is there a separate loom just for the heated steering or I have to run wires?

it is very likely that I will be picking up a 2010 RRS steering with heat. It does not have the shift paddles, and I think I can live with that since I never used the ones added on my 550i.

-John

·
Registered
44 Posts
From my searches the above posts may be misleading as the photo supplied by rquinn12 shows a push start and that was not available on a pre-2009 RRS that I know of. There is a paddle shift upgrade kit available for 2003 -2005 L322 with nothing for L320 that I could find.
The heated steering wheel became a stand alone option on 2009 RRS HSE and supercharged models that already had cold weather pack. The likelihood is the wiring is not there.
apologies if I misled, I have a l320 but 2013, may be different after the upgrade. That was a little rough man, by no means was I misleading a fellow forum member ad enthusiast. U def should be able to put In heat maybe the ccf does not allow the paddles reprogram. I would be there's a way with software upgrades. Let me know If you have further questions I actually found a full install video if you want it. too big to post dm me. and lastly, keep your head out of the way of the airbag god forbid!

·
Registered
488 Posts
There was a guy that added the heated option and it cost him almost 2000 bucks and time and labor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hello.

just read that post. The $2000 expenses were mainly incurred getting 2 different steering wheels since the first one did not have the module and he had to rebuy.

if it is a manner of finding a 12V when the engine is on lead for the steering wheel, I should be able to manage that. Hopefully I can find a cable that can rotate about in the steering column freely without getting damaged or pulled.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think if the battery is disconnected, there should not be a possibility that the airbag will deploy.

Looking at what I have so far, using my current airbag and all, the heated wheel with paddles only set me back $250. Hopefully I can find whatever wiring I need for less than $50. I will probably defer on getting the paddles activated unless I can pay someone to use their IIDTool, until I can justify spending another $500.

PS

Will a dealer activate Paddle Shifting as a service?

-John

There was a guy that added the heated option and it cost him almost 2000 bucks and time and labor.

·
Registered
488 Posts
So correct me if i'm wrong but you are planning on wrapping a cable around your steering column that will wrap and unwrap as you rotate the wheel? and you expect this to work?
Your user name should be red green! Make sure to send me a picture when your car is in flames!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No.

I mean the cable to power the module will come from inside the column, or wherever it is usually wired stock. If there is a Range Rover part for the cable assembly, I will buy that. If not, then I will make one and route it like how it is normally routed in the car.

-John

·
Registered
488 Posts
You are attempting to simplify this and it can't be done as simple as you think. The guy states in the very first post he needed the following as well as the 2 steering wheels.
1. New clockspring (Note the 12 volt connector for the heated wheel at the 12 o'clock position)
2. 12 volt source connected into the side port of the new clockspring.
3. Heated wheel ECU which controls heating for the wheel.

He then states the reason for getting the two steering wheels: Just to give you a rough estimate, the clockspring alone was $400. PLUS, you need to buy 2 separate heated wheels (the 2009 RRS heated wheel didn't come with an ECU for the wheel), but the 2010 LR4 wheel did. And each wheel were both over $500 at least.

Does the steering wheel you bought come with the correct switchpack ECU? If the wheel you bought is for the 2010 to 2013 model it might not even work for this application. You need the switchpack from a 2009 steering wheel to work. You also need IIDtool to modify your CCF to enable this modification.

I found this wiring kit from another forum: Heated Steering Wheel Connector (LR/RR) - Futuranet Ltd - Shop

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gap Diagnostic got back to me, and they said that my MY L320 does not have the ability to accomodate the Paddle Shifters, so this will be a No Go.

I will push forward with adding this Heated Steering and buy that connector from Futuranet.I will document the retrofit to help the next guy.

Thank you very much for the help.

-John

You are attempting to simplify this and it can't be done as simple as you think. The guy states in the very first post he needed the following as well as the 2 steering wheels.
1. New clockspring (Note the 12 volt connector for the heated wheel at the 12 o'clock position)
2. 12 volt source connected into the side port of the new clockspring.
3. Heated wheel ECU which controls heating for the wheel.

He then states the reason for getting the two steering wheels: Just to give you a rough estimate, the clockspring alone was $400. PLUS, you need to buy 2 separate heated wheels (the 2009 RRS heated wheel didn't come with an ECU for the wheel), but the 2010 LR4 wheel did. And each wheel were both over $500 at least.

Does the steering wheel you bought come with the correct switchpack ECU? If the wheel you bought is for the 2010 to 2013 model it might not even work for this application. You need the switchpack from a 2009 steering wheel to work. You also need IIDtool to modify your CCF to enable this modification.

I found this wiring kit from another forum: Heated Steering Wheel Connector (LR/RR) - Futuranet Ltd - Shop

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
118 Posts
WOW! Seems like OP really really wants that heated steering wheel :)
Certainly very determined to get it done

1 - 15 of 15 Posts