RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 SC, heated steering wheel quit working some time ago. Now that I'm seeing a daytime high of -20c, yeah, I kind of miss it.

When I hit the button on the wheel for the heater, it flashes the red light on for a split second, and back off.

I'm pretty sure I checked the fuses when this first happened, but I'm going to check them again.

Aside from that, how do I start to troubleshoot the issue?

Thx guys.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Only thing that springs to mind is that, like the heated seats, it runs a self test on the element circuit. If a flaw is found it shuts down. With the seats there is a thermal cutoff as well as the element. If the element has a break in it the test will not complete. If the thermal shut of is shot the test will not complete. I would imagine the steering wheel has a similar cut off in the element. I am not in the shop today so don;t have schematics to check.

Wells crap, I have the 2007-10 shop manual on my phone and it has no schematics.... sorry.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you figure it's probably the heating element itself, in the wheel?

If that's the case I'm assuming it's not replaceable and I'm looking at a new steering wheel?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Unless there is a relay in the circuit, which there should be, That would be my guess. If a relay is failing then it could just be a dirty connection at the relay or it need a swap. I just don;t have a schematic here...

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Ahhh, it goes through the rotary coupler as well... dah. There is an element, thermal switch and activation button. So there is a steering column relay, two fuses... 30 amp from the ignition and 10 amp full power from the column relay. From there to the rotary coupler to the switch, element and thermal cutoff. Button often gets dirty or the button pad ribbon cable comes loose or the rotary coupler contacts get dirty.

It's great to have a tech here helping with a bottle of scotch! :thumb:

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts