RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to repair/replace my heated seat elements as they have not worked since I purchased the vehicle. I understand the current ones are repairable, but do not want to go back in a few months to repair them again. I think it would be best to install an aftermarket kit such as ones commonly available off of fleabay, but I want to retain control of them through the HVAC head unit. Is this possible or am I being daft?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hi-off-Lo-rectangle-switch-seat-heater-2-seats-heated-seat-kit-fit-all-12V-cars/180871106979?epid=1742478841&hash=item2a1cc211a3:g:J4UAAOxyJmhSGNDs:rk:18:pf:0

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
No not daft at all. See if you can find a seller that will supply just the elements and make sure you get ones that are the correct size, you'll need a narrow one so it will fit in the base of the seat between the stitched sides. The heating elements are in series so when the one in the seat base fails due to people sitting on it, they both go off. Check the resistance of the two elements and you will almost certainly find that the backrest one is fine (if it isn't it usually just breaks where the wires attach to the elements and can easily be repaired). In that case you can do as I have and slide one of the panels from eBay into the seat base, change the plug and connect it up in place of the original one. Works perfectly.

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Something to remember is that it is just a size issue. Range Rover heating elements have cut outs for the upholstery straps that go through the padding to the seat frame and get hog ringed in place to give the upholstery it's shape.

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Which is why you need a narrow panel so it fits between the hog rings and stitching. The aftermarket ones also have a thermal cut out so you don't set fire to the seat just like the originals too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I will search for one that is narrow enough to fit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Let us know which works out for you. I’m due to replace as well.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
491 Posts
I have replaced both seat cushion heating elements (and one squab element) and the replacements available now from LR are far better designed than the originals and have lasted, so far, twice as long as the originals.

The built in thermal switches on the seat cushion element do cut off at a low temperature so I soldered a higher temperature cut off switch in parallel with the one built into the element before fitting so that buns can be properly roasted without fear of setting anything on fire!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm sure you can find a heated panel that will fit, but why not just fix the originals??

I did mine about four years ago and still works great. My elements were broke in the exact spot as described in previous posts. I just added a short section so the stress crossing the frame support wire was nonexistent.

The original works fine, just needs a little modification.

Best of luck.

https://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/seats/seatheat4.html

Although, as long as your in there . . . I should have upped the temp a bit as Garvin mentioned in the previous post.

https://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/seats/seatheat4upgrade.html

·
Super Moderator
2,319 Posts
Mine was broken in about 8 places, I'd have ended up with more wire links than element. That's why I went for the aftermarket panel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
4AAC0C41-48E2-4E9D-82FD-A101502D755E.jpg I used these I cut the wiring harnesses off, and wired them so I could use the factory switch

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,220 Posts
I have done it with the aftermarket elements, and they get nice and toasty. I fitted ones like you showed (but with a different style switch) that can be set between low and hi temp (basically changes the power to the elements between series and parallel)

I wired the main power feed into the feed from the HEVAC/BECM, so that is still the master switch, and then I have the temperature select switch on the side of the seat valance with the other seat controls.

The heater pads I used were longish strips that just fit on the center of the base - but were a carbon fibre type material which you could cut through to be able to get the hog rings in for the seat cover, and it would obviously stop that horizontal strip from heating up, but not the whole thing.

I think I did mine a couple of years ago now, and they are still going strong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts