Range Rovers Forum banner

Heartbroken over engine rebuild!

6K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  BobF 
#1 ·
Good morning, RR Community. I hope you're all well. And hoping you can give me some much needed guidance and advice. I have a 2010 RRS with 211k miles on it. It's been purring fine but recently developed a ticking noise in the engine. Took it in to the dealer and they told me the guides and tensionsers and timing chain are going. He said that ticking sound is the timing chain hitting the engine. They are recommending a full engine rebuild or replacement, estimated cost $27k. He said you might as well buy a new car. I can't believe there is not a simpler solution that what they offered. I love this car, this model with the starburst headlights. It's exactly the RRS I wanted and I planned on keeping it for a very long time. Does anyone have a similar experience? Could they just replace the timing chain? He said if you continue to drive it, the chain could go in two months or two years but it's going to go and the car will seize. Any thoughts? Thanks, folks.

#2 ·
Did they perform leakdown and/or compression check? Unless those numbers are out of spec, no need for overhaul. You do however need to service the chain, which I believe was scheduled for around 150k mile interval. Its typical to also replace sprockets, guides and tensioners at same time. While they are in there, most recommend replacing water pump and crossover pipe. The problem is that its very labor intensive job and requires technical skill and timing tools to be done correctly thus you're looking at $7500 on average in parts and labor. Is that worth doing on a 2010 RRS w/200k+ miles? That's up to end user. Just make certain compression and leakdown numbers are good. You may also consider replacing hydraulic lifters since they already have covers off.

#6 ·
Seems unbelievable the only options for one of these beautiful Rovers is either $7k repair or the salvage yard! As someone pointed out, as long as the only noise is being created by the timing chain then it's very much worth fixing. In case you don't already know, this is a known issue for the timing chain tensioners to prematurely wear out due to their poor design. This causes too much slack in the chain, and thus all the noise. Sometimes the engine will throw a fault, but more often the owner notices all the noise.

Land Rover became aware of this at some point and redesigned the tensioners, including a correction to the geometry of how they push against the chain. This was implemented somewhere in the 2012 MY. They know they goofed, and in my opinion they should make good with some type of rebate or discounted service program to correct their error.

In short, I see guys online doing this repair with fairly common tools and some strong zip-ties, so I'm not buying it when someone says it costs $7k. If you do go with an independent mechanic, make sure they have done the repair before and triple confirm that the replacement parts not only come from Land Rover, but that they are the UPGRADED redesigned parts.

#8 ·
Sir, "They know they goofed, and in my opinion they should make good with some type of rebate or discounted service program to correct their error." , you have 211K on that chain/tensioners with, as said above, 150k recommended service interval. I don't think that many will agree with timing chain/tensioners being regarded as goofed after lasting 211K :) i your case, especially in this engine. Is your RRS Superchaged? because ticking can also be caused by superchager snout, timing chain issues usually heard at cold start and later goes away as oil pressure builds up and presses harder on tensioner actuator. Worn Supercharger snout will tick at idle all the time, cold or hot, mine did. Realistically you have less then 10 sec from the engine start to determine if you have tensioner issue, unless it is really bad.

#9 ·
Also, $27K is a brand spanking new factory engine, including labor. I had mine replaced beginning of this year, even though CPO covered it, I was told the "sticker" price of the job. Dealer, also replaced some kind of plastic pipe that tends to brake and Superchager snout as preventative, which is very nice of them.

#10 ·
211k miles for the OP, but FAR fewer miles for many others. I maintain it's a goof because they redesigned the parts including a correction of the geometry or "AOA" of the tensioner. Also, a steel pad was embedded where before existing nothing but soft aluminum to go up against the steel plunger of the tensioner.

Goof.

#11 ·
Hi, guys. Thanks for all of the feedback and advice. Indy shop mech says dealer should be ashamed for quoting me a new engine. He said your oil was likely low before you went in for service and because the timing chain is oil fed, you may have heard ticking, which went away once the oil was changed and the proper level restored. And that was the case. The sound of the engine before and after the oil change and service was night and day. He said that with regular oil monitoring and more frequent oil changes, you'll get another 2 years out of that engine before you need serious work done, let alone a replacement. So, I'm very relieved. The car is driving much better, the ticking is for the most part gone. He asked me: did they suggest you just buy a new RR instead of replacing the engine? I said YES, THEY DID! He said, I bet they did...with a wink and a smile.

#14 ·
I have noticed this on my L405. When the oil level is under 90% you will hear a ticking. Once you change the oil the noise is gone.

Usually the ticking indicates time to change the oil. Sometimes the ticking is back within 5k miles. The Evoque used to do the same.

#15 ·
The ticking also indicates timing chain problems which is a documented and serious issue. Glad to see that was not the case with you Bob.

Also at that mileage you should do oil changes every 5000 miles for peace of mind and because of the known timing chain issues. Also some key items to look out for is the water pump and the cross over pipe which you should replace as a pre caution.

Wish you many more trouble free miles ahead

Reactions: SaturnV
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.