RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I just got the unfortunate news from my dealer just 2 days after I took delivery that my First Edition cannot have roof load bars installed because Land Rover is restricting dealers from retrofitting roof rails on new Velars that were not originally equipped at the factory with them. Apparently, the retrofit of roof rails involves the disassembly of of the pano roof mechanism, removal of interior roof panels and side curtain air bags, which will not only be extremely costly and labor-intensive, but may compromise the integrity of how everything was intended to be assembled at the factory. In other words, if you plan on using roof-mounted accessories on your Velar, you must order it with your factory build. And if you want a First Edition, you're out of luck because currently roof rails cannot be optioned from the factory on a First Edition.

Dealer added that perhaps the only option in the forseeable future will be aftermarket, which means attachments designed similar to how roof racks are installed in sedans; with metal clamps that grip on the roof panel edge at the upper door seam. This also means that the load capacities will be less.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the heads up This is such timely info!! I showed my sales guy your post, and he confirmed it. Apparently the F-Pace is like this as well Duh! it's the same platform. Since There are no additional order options for the First Edition, you will never be able to order a First edition with roof rails period. My JLR guy offered to have me come in and configure an R-Dynamic to first edition spec with the roof rails (it won't have the First edition badge - not that I care). all to get a $410 option on a $100K vehicle? In fact I am pretty sure If I go that route, the vehicle will be close to $110K - NOPE..

If anyone from JLR is reading this post, leave the nickel and dime'ing to the germans.. I want to put my roof box on this thing and go off road.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad this info is helping someone. I certainly wish I would've known this before I pulled the trigger on the FE. Perhaps I would've ordered a heavily-optioned R-Dynamic with roof rails instead.

As disappointed as I am that I cannot use my new vehicle for all the activities that Land Rover had advertised the new Velar for, I'm not going to make a big stink because there's no turning back now; I've already fallen for this car, and wouldn't want to give it back. There's so much to love about it. In addition, my dealer experience was great and the sales manager and the rest of the staff all seem genuinely disappointed for me regarding this recent info from Land Rover that they are bending over backwards with offers to help me find alternative gear-carry options in the near future whether oem or aftermarket (maybe even hitch-mounted bike/ski/cargo solutions if aftermarket roof bars don't materialize).

I still can't help but wonder about which high-up genius at JLR product development thought it was wise to offer a new heavily-optioned Land Rover product that could never accommodate roof-carry accessories. That's almost like if Nike released a new athletic shoe but issued a warning that you're not supposed to run with it.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Geez Louise.... First Editions of new models for many car makers often have limited options, limited colour choices and limited engine packages. This is nothing new in the automotive world and certainly not anything new for Land Rover. First Editions are often run in a few configurations that cover base model through fully loaded just to get them on the lot. Heck when the new TBird came out there was only one build, stripped base in black with a white removable hardtop. If you didn't like it you didn't buy one. When the P38 first came out here in the States there was no 4.6 available, interiors were sparse and there were only a couple of options available. It was not for several months that the 4.6 became available and then with the 96 model year that optioning increased.

·
Registered
321 Posts
What OP is trying to say is that if the information was out there in the open from the beginning then those individuals that wanted a roof rack would be able to config one or be able to reconsider whether its a needed or not. Obviously FE vehicles are limited but JLR should have informed and had set out at beginning that hey just heads up you wont be able to add roof racks. Some individuals already ordered Velar FE without knowing this information.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Yes I get what Masmole is saying. If a roof rack was that big of a deal to me I would be peeved as well. However, as has been beat to death continually on this site, you purchase a vehicle for what is available on your order sheet at the time of purchase. Even then things can change, and have. Look at the hissy fits some folks threw when remote start didn't materialize a model year earlier.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree some people will have hissy fit over something so small thats true. I think the Velar FE buyers thought they could install roof racks at dealer but that boat aint flowing in that direction lol. Velar still has alot to offer it will keep the FE buyers happy knowing the price tag i hope so lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a fair comparison. Remote start is a luxury/convenience item that while nice, is not expected from suv/crossover of this type. What is expected from a marque like Land Rover whose primary business is to build and sell adventure-capable off-roaders to would-be adventurers and wannabes is to have something as basic as a roof rack to mount your kayaks/bikes/skis/spare tires/insert-whatever-adveture-gear on. My dealer is shocked about this as well, as they've told me that this is the first ever Land Rover product that Land Rover themselves have stated to not be able to retrofit an oem roof-carry solution on ever, unless you order it built from the factory! Dealer went on to say that with past Land Rover new vehicle introductions, roof-carry options were at least made available for retrofit later. The Velar is the first exception. What makes it real bad is that much of Land Rover's press material, photos and videos released about the Velar show people with adventure gear mounted on their Velar's roofs and even reinforce this with the availability of the activity key (standard on the Velar First Edition and also featured in the new Disco) for the would-be adventurers. They could've at least been more forthcoming with this info and included such details on their very nicely made brochure on the Velar; usually a footnote with a asterisk "roof rails cannot be retrofitted, MUST ORDER FROM FACTORY". Sadly, such warnings were nowhere to be seen on the brochures, their website, and whatever online resource eager customers like me have scoured from google searching. Even the dealers didn't know about this until many of their customers have already ordered and in my case, taken delivery of a Velar First Edition. My dealer actually wrote up a note on my purchase order that there would be no labor charge on the retrofit of my roof rails once they are made available by Land Rover. Little did they know Land Rover would release info later that retrofits would not be allowed on this model at all. Not cool.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I didn't understand it in 2006 when the first edition sports came out and I don't understand it now. Why are the first editions not fully loaded? It seems like you would put every option on them, make them a little more unique with special colors and wheels, then sell them at a higher price. With the exception of flux silver, you can get everything that a first edition has (plus more) on the non first edition. If the first editions really did come first, then I would somewhat understand it, but if I placed an order 4 months ago for a non first edition, it would have arrived at the same time the first editions hit the lots.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Why would they? The roof rack is still an active and viable option. By the way, here is the quote directly from the accessories page for carrying and towing...

" Requires factory fitted roof rails for fitment. Roof rails and cross bars are required for all Land Rover roof mounted accessories. "

·
SUPER MODERATOR
979 Posts
They could've at least been more forthcoming with this info and included such details on their very nicely made brochure on the Velar; usually a footnote with a asterisk "roof rails cannot be retrofitted, MUST ORDER FROM FACTORY". Sadly, such warnings were nowhere to be seen on the brochures, their website, and whatever online resource eager customers like me have scoured from google searching.
While I agree they should have let First Edition people know instead of surprising them. Looking at the brochures I have they did reference that it was a factory and not aftermarket option. Yes it could have been clearer but they did make a little effort.

Page 70:
EXTERIOR FEATURES
Roof rails facilitate easy fitment of cross bars for truly stable roof carrying. Pre-set positioning points ensure cross bars are fixed in optimum position for weight distribution and dynamics. Available in Black or Silver finishes.
Not available as Land Rover Gear – Accessories fit.

And then further in they add this for the cross bars option:

Cross Bars (optional Roof Rails required, see page 70)
VPLYR0162
Elegantly designed roof rails (which are an option fit only) facilitate easy fitment of cross bars for roof carrying. Pre-set positioning points ensure cross bars are fixed in optimum position for weight distribution and dynamics. Maximum payload is 163 Ibs**. Durable Bright finish aluminum cross bars, with T-track design which utilize the full length of
the bars, providing space to mount multiple accessories. Aerodynamic profile minimizes drag

They also added: "Roof Rails and Cross Bars are required for all Land Rover roof mounted accessories." to all of the options in the SPORTING ACCESSORIES section & Large Sports Roof Box VPLWR0100

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's new. For the record, it did not say "requires factory fitted roof rails" last week and it certainly did not say it when dealers finalized builds on the first Velar orders. This is new information that's just recently been distributed to dealers and Land Rover is just now updating their literature. In fact, the online e-brochure was just updated and the small fine print regarding the roof rails can still be somewhat vague on page 70 even after the revision: "Roof rails facilitate easy fitment of cross bars for truly stable roof carrying.Pre-set positioning points ensure cross bars are fixed in optimum positionfor weight distribution and dynamics. Available in Black or Silver finishes.Not available as Land Rover Gear – Accessories fit. "

They should really update the e-brochure with at least the same wording as the new accessories catalog, which mentions "Requires factory fitted roof rails..." because it's most likely the thing prospective buyers will usually look through first before ordering. The accessories sections are more of an after-sales thing.

Anyhow, let's not beat this dead horse any further. I already love this car with or without roof rails, and I'm not about to give it back. At least now more people will know and hopefully make better-informed decisions when ordering one. I'm guessing a good majority of Velar buyers would have a need for roof-carry options at some point, as most others who buy any brand/model of suv/crossover types typically do.

Edit for michaeltw: I did not see your post before writing the above. But same goes with your finding on the e-brochure. That is a new revision. That wording was not even there on the earlier versions. Just so you know. And even now like you said, it's still vague.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
979 Posts
Edit for michaeltw: I did not see your post before writing the above. But same goes with your finding on the e-brochure. That is a new revision. That wording was not even there on the earlier versions. Just so you know. And even now like you said, it's still vague.
The earliest ebrochure I have was from the initial Velar reveal in March and another one from August, both have the same wording on page 70, similarly the printed copy I got at the NYC Lincoln Center reveal has it as well. No reference at all to it in the hard cover book.

Still though, Land Rover, consistently inconsistent...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Roof Rails can be added to any Range Rover Velar, including First Edition. Just had factory Velar roof rails added to my FE this week. Took the LR parts team about 2 hours. Dealer said LR want to keep the FE's standard and so are telling dealers Roof Rails must be factory installed and can't be retro fitted. So if you have a FE or any other velar without roof rails and want to retrofit them, tell your dealer it can be done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow. Where was this exactly? Hopefully in SoCal? I'm in the same predicament with a 2019 Velar P380. I've called many dealers here and they all say "NO WAY JOSE". Anyone else out there found a work around or socal dealer that will do it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts