RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone reskin their headliner? I noticed today it is beginning to sag horribly. I'm looking to pull the old headliner out and reskin with black. Any sources you guys have used with precut materials or is this something I need to throw over the existing mold and cut to fit.

TIA

~Brad

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
I can easily recover any backer board headliner in a day with a bit of effort. Taking a day to disassemble and prep then a second day to refinish and reassemble allows for leisurely pace and unforeseen issues. There a few write ups existing across models.

Long and short is that you remove pillar trims, visors reading lamps, grab handles and any over head gadgets, drop the headliner panel, and place on a large work surface or saw horses with support. They key is that it is not the old glue that fails, it is the foam backing that degrades. All of the foam must be removed from the backer board before proceeding. I take an extra step of painting the backer board to ensure a sealed surface for the new glue to adhere to. You can order fabric online or through local upholstery or commercial fabric supplier. Order a good 4-6 inches longer than you need and in a bolt width wider than your backer board. Start at one end and spray, then secure only 8-12 inches at a time. Working time with spray adhesive is short. Do not remove extra fabric. remove the foam backing and wrap the fabric around edges and into fitment holes. This will ensure secure edges. Dont forget to order a second piece of fabric longer than your sunroof shade so you can refinish it as well. From this piece you have some large scraps you can wrap other items in the cabin to tie things together.

General rule of thumb is $100-120 for headliner material and 2 cans of adhesive. Naturally if you get fancy with suede type fabrics things get a bit more pricey. Labour gets really pricey if a shop is pulling your interior apart. If the actual refinishing makes you nervous at least remove the board yourself and save a couple hundred dollars.

That's all the hints I can think of. It's not difficult but can be awkward if you don;t have a helper for navigating the board out the hatch and installing it when finished.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

I was planning to order from headlinerexpress.com waiting for them to respond to an email I had sent out about the material in question.

planning on going with black vs the tan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts