RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally came time that replacing my sagging headliner was the only viable option. I made the mistake of taking it to a bargain shop, and it came back with one major problem. Attached are photos of where it attaches around the sunroof. You will see adhesive residue around the edge of the sunroof. I didn't notice this until the morning after picking the car up, unfortunately.

After calling the installer, he explained to me that it appeared the headliner had been partially removed before and reattached to the "black trim piece around the sunroof" which is what's causing the me to see the residue from where they reattached. This doesn't seem right to me, and it seems odd that LR would leave this large of a gap between the headliner and the sunroof panel. Please advise so I can get this in order.

Thanks so much.

1.jpg

2.jpg

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Oh horse plop. They didn't wrap the fabric on the backer board. The "black trim"is a wide "U" channel that lines the inside of the sunroof opening. It covers the fabric, backer board and metal edge at the opening. There is absolutely no reason to ever see any adhesive residue. Sorry this happened to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured, RRT. The guy, fortunately, isn't hostile and has expressed interest in correcting the issue. He suggested a "weatherstripping" option; but I, of course, would like it done correctly. If you were to address this in layman's terms to him, how would you put it? Please tolerate my ignorance. haha

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Havn't had L322s in quite while. I am back to P38s again. :mrgreen: I also just noticed you have a 2006, that was a new design of not having the Uchannel trim but had a solid perimeter plate. Yours has a thin edged plate the shape of the sunroof opening. That in turn is held in with a dozen or so screws FROM ABOVE the headliner. The screws are access by removing the sunroof panel and unscrewing them from ABOVE the opening. If that trim plate is now part of the backer board and wrapped there is no way to anchor the headliner at the opening. That "trim plate" is actually called a clamp plate I believe.

If the old headliner was partially removed then reattached to the trim piece They should have cleaned up the trim piece and installed it properly. There is no adhesive used ANYWHERE to anchor the headliner. It is held in be visors, handles lights and on the rear of your there are three, I think, retaining clips.... never would adhesive be used to anchor the headliner at the sunroof.

I suppose the trim plate screws are long gone from the old head liner being "reattached". if you are lucky it is under the new fabric and the shop could figure out what screws it takes. There are direction in the shop manual for removing the headliner in the "interior fitments" section. I am not at the shop so don;t have access to it.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Excellent shots of the fitment of the clamp plate. Hopefully that will show the shop how it needs to be placed. :thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the help, guys. Hope to get this settled this weekend and I'll provide an update. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wanted to provide an update --

I finally had the headliner redone and replaced by a professional. I went with the mesh material they use in modern vehicles -- it looks great! Had the A and seatbelt pillars recovered as well.

I'm only confronted with one issue. Since getting the car back, the gauge cluster is showing that all my tires are low. I pumped them up today, but the light still shows. Did some research and found that the RF receiver on the TPMS is behind the dome light panel, which was most definitely disconnected during the install. I took the panel down to find the receiver loose just sitting on the panel. Seems that it was once stationed somewhere with a double-sided tape or sorts.

Can anyone provide any details? Is there a reset I should perform? Where should I mount it?

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts