RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

I'm new to the forum and to RR's, but a long time Land Rover addict. I recently acquired a Clearwater Blue 1991 Range Rover Classic that suffers from the sagging headliner - following all the great posts on the site I have pulled out the old headliner and am now faced with choosing a fabric. I have looked at the swatches online for Headliner Express and WLS Headliners and they appear to be different materials, on top of that there are tons of other options in 60" and 70" wide fabrics (I'm assuming the correct thickness is 1/8" since that is what Headliner Express and WLS use.)

I was hoping the community could weigh in with what they have used and their thoughts on the different materials, colors and suppliers - detail pics of the fabrics installed would be an awesome bonus!

IMG_5852.JPG

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great looking Rover. I haven't had to replace mine yet so I cannot contribute much. I did want to share that when my liner does start to sag I plan to install a cross piece over the front seats to mount my CB to. Seems like you have a good opportunity to to install a bluetooth microphone or something in conjunction with the new soffit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I'm thinking of going with - it's for a Chevy Tahoe and is 144" long x 64" wide which should be enough material including the sunroof? - I think the Shale color looks close to my original color and should work against the Saddle Interior:

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 9.37.41 AM.jpg

@Ranger SAR - Thanks for the compliment - it's far from perfect, but the price was right for a truck with 89,000 miles on it, and it cruised 50 miles home on the freeway at 70mph without a hitch (other than a wet passenger floor - hoping it's the sunroof drains as it has been sitting out in the weather recently). I like your idea - I think I will 3M 5200 a mounting block up behind the headliner that I can drive screws into at a later date

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a few more questions for the group...

Question 1) Did the original headliner have some sort of thin backing over the foam (I think they refer to it as a scrim backing)? I've scrubbed the foam off but noticed this thin layer of material that pulled up on an edge and I'm not sure if it was part of the headliner board or part of the original headliner fabric. I'm guessing it is part of the original fabric and should be removed, but wanted to check.

IMG_5875.JPG

Question 2) What purpose do the 3 sheet metal pieces glued to the roof in the cargo area serve? I'm guessing 2 have something to do with the speaker sound, but then why the one in the middle? mine seem to have some unglued and not sure if I should just pull them out.

IMG_5880.JPG

Question 3) Has anyone put additional insulation against the roof? I was wondering since I have the headliner out if it might be a good idea to glue up a light weight foil backed insulation directly to the roof before reinstalling the headliner - here's a link to what I was thinking of using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016QUS1YE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A33WZPZ4QHXNRF&psc=1

Thought it might help both noise and temperature...

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I took a chance and went ahead and ordered the shale 1/8" thick, 64" wide from Amazon / Headliner Express, and the fabric just arrived:

IMG_5887.JPG

Very excited to see the color is almost a dead on match! The headliner arrived rolled, but did not have a bube supporting it, so the edges have been creased - I will lay it flat and hopefully it will smooth out - may try hitting it with a hairdryer. Seems like more than enough material for the job:

IMG_5888.jpg

I also took a closer look at the thin layer of material that was behind the foam backing against the fiberglass (question #2) - I peeled a section thinking it was part of the original headliner fabric, but noticed it was cut to the edge of the headliner board, so must be a thin layer of fiberglass tissue. I figure I will leave it on the board and hope you don't see the area I pulled it off from.

IMG_5892.JPG

Need to do a little more wiping down of the board to get rid of the old glue (still tacky) and then wait for a decent day so I can work outside (don't want to be spraying the glue in the garage.)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoops - looked at my receipt, the headliner material was from "Headliner Magic" not "Headliner Express."

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I would follow up in case it is of help to anyone else in the future:

So I pulled off the sheets I thought were metal, but I now believe are MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) and replaced with Dynamat Extreme
IMG_5930.JPG

I then added a layer of lightweight insulation helded up with small tabs of 3M Dual Lock so it could easily be removed:
IMG_5932.JPG

I went the route of removing the entire sunroof cartridge in order to access the sunshade - it was relatively easy and reduced the chance of me breaking any of the small bits while removing the sunshade:
IMG_5906.JPG

Recovering the headliner board was a bit tricky and I was very glad I had enlisted an extra pair of hands to help - I ended up with a couple of wrinkles, but I didn't expect perfection since it was my first time attempting this - overall I am happy with the result that cost me $180 (headliner material and 3 cans of adhesive)
IMG_5956.JPG

·
Registered
136 Posts
nice job, complete and thorough. appreciate the photos. please post any more you might have. i'm about to attempt the same.

thanks geneo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a couple more pics...
IMG_5864.JPG
To get the headliner out I needed to remove the rear seatbelt shoulder harnesses (couple of bolts, very easy - just remember when putting them back you need to hold them upright like they will be mounted to pull the belt out - they work off gravity)
IMG_5871.JPG
Usef a shop vac with a stiff brush to get the old foam off, then wiped down several times with alcohol.
IMG_5910.JPG
The little slider tabs are fragile and you don't want to break them since they are apparently almost impossible to find. I removed the retaining clip at the end of the track and one screw further up the track, they allowed enough flex for me to slightly bend the sunshade and remove the clips.
IMG_5951.JPG
Just prior to reassembly - I would take a picture of the hand rail mounting points as I did have difficulty getting the screws into one and wished I had reference as to exactly where they were located in reference to the door frame.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing I forgat to mention - I left the fabric on my living room floor for 4 days and the wrinkles were still there. I ended up using a steam iron held very lightly above/on the fabric and steaming them out - just keep it moving to make sure you don't melt it... the wrinkles came out very easily using this technique. I had lots of fabric left over from the project.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just put the dynamat up behind the overhead speakers and I think it does help deaden any vibrations that my have come from them - overall I've been happy with the project.

·
Registered
98 Posts
nice job , anyone know who makes a early 2 door headlining .
If I understand your question correctly all the headliner companies mentioned here just provide the fabric by the yard and sometimes the glue. It is up to you to cut it accordingly. So whether it is a 2 door or 4 door and if it has a sunroof , you just order the right length and width of raw fabric.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts