RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My RRC is a 1990 County model and has a good service history with no rust. So I would like to complete the problems with it as best as possible. The interior is in excellent shape with two exceptions. First is the headliner which is sagging. The second is the veneer is cracked badly throughout the vehicle. I am dealing with the headliner first. I pulled the shell out of the Rover first with no problems, but noticed the fabric seemed to be supporting the headliner shell around the sunroof. Is this true? I had planned to have the shell recovered outside of the vehicle and then install it, and hadn't planned on having to glue fabric around the sunroof once inside of the vehicle.

My second question is with the sunroof. When I bought the Rover there was no headliner directly on the sunroof itself. The metal frame of the sunroof was exposed. What does the fabric cover? A piece of missing plastic? I know whatever it was must be pliable since the sunroof section the headliner fabric must bend with the sunroof in the "up" position. I have also posted some pictures in case I am not making sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your truck looks very nice!I never done headliner, but if you don't have a RAVE manual, it is for download in the "stickies" above. That may get you going in the right direction, as you do not have any other reply's yet. I saw little back some tread on the subject, use the "search" function. Good luck.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Your description vs pictures are two vastly different things. Covering the entire roof area is a hard board that you would recover. Attached to the sunroof is a similar assembly. I am not sure what direction you are going with this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I was afraid that what I was asking may not be clear. I have the hardboard that I have removed, but the hardboard was helped being held in place around the sunroof by the headliner fabric. You can see at the sunroof edges some of the foam left behind. I was simply wanting to recover the hardboard outside of the vehicle then put in back into the vehicle. I didn't know if the fabric needed to be glued back around the sunroof.

My second concern with the sunroof itself was there was nothing there at all when I got the vehicle. No fabric, no hardboard, just exposed metal, I assume from a leak where someone just ripped off the damaged material. I was just hoping someone knew what I was missing.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
99 Posts
It's appears to me that you're missing the edging surround at the sunroof that holds the headliner material in place unless you have removed it and apparently you're missing the sunroof cover piece.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ok. when you recover the biscuit board do not cut out the sunroof hole, leave it till you've got in place... Basically the fabric folds back on itself and the excess flap is bonded around the aperture a few inches back with double sided 3m tape. then a finisher goes around the metal flap, aperture edge.

with the sunroof there is no panel. the frame you see is what the headliner section is bonded to. again using 3m tape (about 3mm wide you fold it over the outside frame and bond it to the back side. that way the fabrice stretches for the tilt. but you need to pull it fairly tight around the frame. it's a bit fiddly to get the the panel back in but follow rave and you will do it. when you order the fabric to cover the biscuit board, order an extra meter so you have spare if you screw uo the first attempt.

When covering the biscuit board lay it flat, plan how you are going to bond it and work at 2 ft sections at a time.. start at the back.. when you come to the contours at the front, feel how you are going to form it over, before you spray the glue. once its on its on ! also before i did the headlining, i glass fibre repaired any weak spots, like around the grab handles on the back side.

heres mine after i did it..

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
95 Posts
Hi JB,

I was trying to get a photo of my roof yesterday but ran out of daylight. I took these pictures today and if you look at the picture UKAdamWest posted, it does not look like he has the same retainer setup that I do.

In any case, here's what my retaining system around the sunroof:

This photo is a view looking directly into the sunroof headliner retainer showing the metal roof and the cardboard/fabric headliner and how the retainer clips and holds the headliner around the sunroof cutout:

Sunroof headliner retainer detail.jpg

Here's the sunroof headliner retainer showing sunroof closure slid all the way back and the sunroof glass in the "vent-open" position:

Sunroof headliner retainer.jpg

And here's the sunroof headliner retainer with the closure slid closed:

Sunroof headliner retainer - sunroof closure closed.jpg

I'm not certain any of this helps you - I hope it does!

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
68 Posts
mine is bad but went to car trimmer & qouted me $100 to re glue it together if I take it out & srape off the old stuff . & extra $100 if want new fabric ( In NZ ) so not worth my trying to do it . Heard of several horror stories of it going wrong .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts