RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, the headliner fabric has started to pull away near the sunroof opening. My first question is what sort of glue should I used to re- secure it? Secondly, since this vehicle was new to me, was there at one time a molding that goes around the interior of the sunroof opening? My other vehicles with sunroofs have a molding, but it appears to clip on to the hard backing of the headliner. The Rover appears to have a little different set-up.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
to attach the cloth liner i would use some Weldwood brush on contact cement found at HDepot,
get the red and black can not the green one.

Use the cement sparingly you dont want to saturate the cloth as it will bleed through,

coat both sides with a small brush,
then use a hair drier to set it to tacky,
then press it back into position

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
proper spray adhesives are avilable aat home depot and lowes and don't risk bleed through or discolouration of other adhesives.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks- I did not think of the spray adhesive. I have a can in the garage.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If you use the Weldwood as suggested you wont have to repair this twice.

I have installed many auto interiors and the spray on glue is not as strong,
nor does it resist heat like the Weldwood cement does.

But hey now you know more than you did you did before.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Merlin, spray adhesives come in different strengths for different uses. As you are familiar with interiors you already know it is not the glue that fails on headliners, it is the foam backing. Using the proper tool for proper repairs avoids the "doing it twice" mantra. Obviously no body is going to use photo mounting spray or even a 3M 77 for an automotive repair. A heavy strength spray lightly applied with a gentle stretch of the very thin and easy stained fabric will repair the lip in under 10 minutes. It will take longer to brush the foam backing of the header board in prep than to spray it and hold the fabric in place for 15 or 20 seconds while it sets.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Yes thats understood but if the OP is fixing the liner to the edge of the sunroof opening,
I dont think any foam is involved on the upper edge, but I could be wrong.

I have used the heaviest carpet spray from a can both from 3M and Permatex and followed the directions,
and I got tired of having the job come back in a few weeks after hot weather only to find the carpet had fallen off.
Try installing a carpet kit into a Porsche 928 it has 30 pieces of carpet.
It takes a week,so once a few pieces of carpet come loose you will quickly find another glue
If you have not tried the Weldwood I suggest you do.
Its just about the same stuff they use at upholstery shops and it comes in pint or QT or gal.
though they thin it some so it can sprayed from a gun, I dont use a gun I use 1 inch brush

BTW nice tip about the updated NAV system in the 2010,
I had no idea because I didnt read my owners manual ,
after your insightful post I read the info thanks.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Heavy carpet sections on vertical panels etc compared with a half inch of material barely enough to be called a facial tissue are vastly different. I am fully behind stuff like contact cement for such heavy stuff as I do the same on Rolls and Packard restorations. Same for period proper vinyls and leather inserts in door panels. I've done the same for an old leather Bentley headliner in a T2, just never for our flimsy headliner material that is easily stained and distorted. Spray adhesives are self sealing upon contact to their surface. Once the fabric to be mounted is gently smoothed into place, if properly prepared, it is good for another many many years on sunroof openings and trims like the pillar trims.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts