RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 97 P38 in need of a bit of TLC. The headlining has sagged badly, door-card fabric and front pillars are badly worn, and the sunroof is locked shut (maybe on purpose to prevent water ingress, or maybe the mechanism has failed...)

Can anyone recommend an interior refurb guy in the West Yorkshire area who can fix all this stuff without breaking the bank?

Many thanks in advance for your time and help.

Alan.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Headlining is simple enough to do it yourself using one of the trim kits from Martrim (https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/range-rover-headlining-kits.php), the easiest way to deal with the pillar trims is to clean off the stuck on flock with hot soapy water while they are off to drop the headlining. That will leave a smooth finish that looks original anyway. Two people and a bit of care and it's less than a day to do it start to finish. Sunroof may or may not be simple, I bought one car and found the sunroof motor was missing and despite spending days with a kit of replacement plastics, ended up simply buying a replacement complete unit and fitting that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Richard.

Thanks for the information and the link. Honestly I dont have the confidence to take on a job of this scale. I reckon I'd probably snap off every single clip on every single piece of removable trim :)

Given that there are other retrim jobs too (door cards and pillar covers) I think I'll try to find a pro to do the job. Of course I'd like to avoid paying LR dealer prices for parts and labour :)

Cheers,
Alan.

Headlining is simple enough to do it yourself using one of the trim kits from Martrim (https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/range-rover-headlining-kits.php), the easiest way to deal with the pillar trims is to clean off the stuck on flock with hot soapy water while they are off to drop the headlining. That will leave a smooth finish that looks original anyway. Two people and a bit of care and it's less than a day to do it start to finish. Sunroof may or may not be simple, I bought one car and found the sunroof motor was missing and despite spending days with a kit of replacement plastics, ended up simply buying a replacement complete unit and fitting that.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Seriously Alan windscreen trims pull off easily and the flock can be scraped off with a blunt edge I used a wooden ruler then cleaned the residue with meths. Sunroof have no experience of sorry. Headlining my 98 needs hers doing and it will be simple buying 1 of the kits recommenced. I did the lining on the hardtop of my MGTF recovering what is called the biscuit and reinstalling- I foresee no issues to getting mine done as soon as the warmer weather arrives

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
A few members of a UK based Range Rover forum organised a headlining summer camp last year and did 8. We had a production line running with a couple of people taking them out, my partner cleaning the old foam off the headlining board, two more people doing the trim and then back to the removal/refitting guys to put them back. It really is an easy job and the clips are substantial enough to stand being pulled off and put back on. Me and my partner have done both my cars now and it is nothing to worry about, honest.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, you might have convinced me to take a run at it :)

Next question is; is there some code on the vehicle giving the colour of pillar/headlining trim?

I found the codes on the VIN plate (961/G, so Epsom Green with Tan leather, which seems right), but the pillars and the liner are much lighter than the seat leather. It's not obvious from Martrim's website which colour I have.

Anyone know how to find out?

Thanks
Alan.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I think the headlinings were all the same colour and Oatmeal was the one that we used when doing the batch run. It looks grey on the website but is more a beige colour. If you haven't got it already, download RAVE and it gives you step by step instructions on removing the headlining, the only tools needed are a no 2 Pozidrive screwdriver and a flat trim removal tool.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Doing the fabricate application to the old formed headliner card didn't sound like something I could do and turn out well. I bought a replacement from LR and swapped them out which was a little time consuming but an easy job. The downside is that these things don't last that long, my "new" replacement started falling at 7 years old or so. This time I was in a hurry and took a staple gun to the headliner and reattached everything. It was a temporary fix, 6 months ago. Mind you, my P38 is no longer a beauty king but I find myself never looking up and noticing the staples.

·
Registered
447 Posts
just a quick note , when I done my roof lining my upholster said to use a water base glue not a solvent base glue as the solvent attacks the foam backing and dissolves it over time, hence the sagging lining . so he done mine with a water based glue now all I have to do is wait 10 years to see if he is right ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I did the head liner of mine a couple of months aga, within a week it was saggy again on exactly the same spots as where it was saggy to begin with, I used that 3M 77 glue from a spray can...

I did my Discovery too over a year ago, and that is still fine, used different glue for that.

So may be look for a degreaser.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts