RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have recently become obsessed with making my build in city lights work on my rover. If you will notice underneath the main bulb in you headlamp there is a premanufactured slot for city lights in your headlamp pod, it is just caped off on U.S. models. Has anyone attemped to make thiers oprable? It seems the bulb and holder are the same as the side blinkers. You have to just remove the cap and unsert the bulb holder and bulb and wire it to the parking lights. Has anyone completed this project? I would like some tips. I will be doing it soon and will post my results. Thanks. [/b]

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,307 Posts
aztrorover said:
If you will notice underneath the main bulb in you headlamp there is a premanufactured slot for city lights in your headlamp pod, it is just caped off on U.S. models.
Is it a cap?
Mine looks like part of the molded back of the reflector, and I thought you would need to drill it open. That's why I didn't do it - explaining to my wife that I need a new $300+ headlight assembly.

"Why? What happened?"
"I drilled a hole in it, and screwed it up."
"Jim, you're a @#%$#!$%*#^%&*@&###!!!! And a @*%*#[email protected]!!"
"Yes, dear."
"Give me all your tools! NOW!"

jeez.

The bulb & holder are different from the side lights.
I think Rovers North has the holder & lamp, though.

jim

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A cap?, -well once I can really get in there I will be able to see. I havent removed the lamp yet. I havent had time, but in a month school will be out (I teach) and I will have 2 1/2 month to play with it amoung other things :D I will keep posting thoughout it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the place where I gathered that it is the same as the side blinker.

http://www.roversnorth.com/RRD04/RRD04_ ... page75.htm

if you scroll down you can see the part that I am talking about it does show the additional light and socket it has the same numbers as the side blinker bulb abd holder.

So I think this is where I will start.

-Aztro

·
Registered
150 Posts
CIty Light?

Howdy,

Can you back up one step and explain the term "city light?"

Thanks,

Art in San Jose

·
Registered
219 Posts
As far as I'm aware, the the rest of the world refers to this typically 5 or 10 watt bulb as a sidelight (even though its only visible from the front). It's also called a parking light.

The bulb produces only a dim glow in the headlamp and in my opinion if you ain't got them already they are not worth the effort, although the bulb holder STC2994 is readily available.

Driving with only these these lights on is plain dangerous. They hark back to earlier times when vehicle electrics (dynamos and batteries) weren't up to the task of dipped beam for extended periods at slow speeds.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
In Yurrup, we have no side marker lights. The first click on the headlight switch turns on the parking lights in the main headlight and taillights, actually same as in the states only moved inboard a little in front and no red rear sides.

I suppose you could get a kick out of having them in the states - cause noone else does - for when you're cruising the drag or sitting at your local burger joint showing off the car. I can't imagine anyone wanting to drive with them in the dark.

The bulbs are the same spade bulbs as in the side markers (clear, not orange) and here's what the reflector looks like for a EU P38. You can just bareley see the hole for the parking light bulb. Is the US reflector the same?:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sir,
Yes they are the same except ours have that smaller bulb hole under the main bulb hole capped off from behind. This is defitily a project I will be doing. As for them not being used in the U.S. -It is not true my GF has a VW cabrio and her city lights come on if she turns on the parking lights they are right under the High beems on hers, BMW also have city lights as do Mercedez Benz. It is just so nice and defitily not for driving at night, they are just for parking, waiting or cloudy day use.

-Aztro

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
aztrorover said:
my GF has a VW cabrio and her city lights come on if she turns on the parking lights they are right under the High beems on hers, BMW also have city lights as do Mercedez Benz.
guess I been gone awhile. Used to be only a euro-thing. Hey, I wasn't harping on them with the driving at night comment, I was answering P38 Ace. If it rings your bell, do it!

You may have a bulb failure warning issue, though, if you just wire directly to the present parking lights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts