RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first RR a week ago, a 2010 Supercharged. I came from a Lexus LX570, and I'm loving the Rangie. My first reaction to the lights at night were wow! They are superbright.

But while this is great for my personal navigation, other drivers plainly don't like it. Tonight one pulled over, then proceeded to follow me flashing his headlights on high beam for a minute or so.

The lights look adjusted well enough - the beam cutoff is well below the interior mirror of the car ahead when I'm following at 3-5 car lengths just as the manual says. It's just the extreme brightness. When I follow others, they get annoyed. I can see their reaction, though none have really got to the stage of tonight's flasher.

And whenever I pass (we drive on the left hand side of the road here), the verge illumination lights up the inside of each car like daylight as I come past.

It must be hugely annoying to others, and my 2 hour trip tonight was really not that pleasant as a result. Anyone else have this problem? Should I get the headlight adjusted so that they shine more on the road?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
54 Posts
Definitely get them checked. Who knows what was done to it by the previous owner. I have not had any issues with blinding anybody (that I know of) in my 2008. Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely get them checked. Who knows what was done to it by the previous owner. I have not had any issues with blinding anybody (that I know of) in my 2008. Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks! After driving LX's for many years, the RRSC is an eye-opener in performance and of course it's a very stylish mode of transport. I'll get the lights checked when the replacement cameras come in :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you have stock wheel/tire size? Is the suspension functioning so that the ride is highway height?

I rarely get flashed, but it does happen. The lights are relatively high and very bright.

I thought that kind of road rage was isolated to USA, and more specifically, I thought everyone in New Zealand was relatively laid back. Sorry to hear otherwise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have stock wheel/tire size? Is the suspension functioning so that the ride is highway height?

I rarely get flashed, but it does happen. The lights are relatively high and very bright.

I thought that kind of road rage was isolated to USA, and more specifically, I thought everyone in New Zealand was relatively laid back. Sorry to hear otherwise.
Yes, standard 20" wheels for this one. Suspension looks OK too. Maybe I'll just have to sit further back behind traffic at night, though fortunately I don't go out that much in the dark hours.

I think road rage is endemic no matter what the country. I was driving in Britain a couple months ago and got some reaction to the 5 series rental BMW I was driving. Nothing I did, just someone having a bad day. But your observation is generally correct... apart from the road, we all are a laid back lot in NZ :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
At least once a month I notice someone flashing high beams me. Usually I just flash them back, and they realize I wasn't using my high beams :naughty:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
At least once a month I notice someone flashing high beams me. Usually I just flash them back, and they realize I wasn't using my high beams :naughty:
That's fine if they have the brightness problem coming towards me, but it seems to be when I'm behind them - i don't get a chance to do this.

These lights are unreal - on the B roads the cat's eyes are lit up for 100's of meters ahead, and as we get closer the reflective road signs at any level are almost too bright to look at. It's not an adjustment issue... there's just a LOT 'o light!

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's fine if they have the brightness problem coming towards me, but it seems to be when I'm behind them - i don't get a chance to do this.

These lights are unreal - on the B roads the cat's eyes are lit up for 100's of meters ahead, and as we get closer the reflective road signs at any level are almost too bright to look at. It's not an adjustment issue... there's just a LOT 'o light!
I have the same problem, if you can call it a problem. The car has passed its MOT test so I guess the alignment is ok, I just think that they are super bright and other motorists just assume we are driving on high beam.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same problem, if you can call it a problem. The car has passed its MOT test so I guess the alignment is ok, I just think that they are super bright and other motorists just assume we are driving on high beam.
Yes, nice problem to have in one sense of the word!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, nice problem to have in one sense of the word!
This is typical of a RR owner. The question is not whether YOU can see better, the question is whether WE are causing more harm than good. Brights cause blinding even in the daytime. with most all drivers being urban or modestly rural, wouldn't brights by switch be adequate?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
In the 1980's when halogen bulbs were the new thing, similar complaints were made by drivers who simply weren't used to the different color. I think the same thing is happening with the xenon and LED units today. In the USA it is worse because our road signs are so terrible, our headlights are actually calibrated to throw more light upward and to the sides because people need to be able to see poorly placed, non-reflective/illuminated, signs.

These lights are becoming standard in more and more new vehicles, I'm sure they'll seem normal eventually.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
dead on. I think of all the complaints and morons flashing me back then and I jsut have to chuckle. Then when "euro" headlights finally became legal Ford had HUGE problems with their trucks and alignment complaints to the point of a TSB for all vehicals to have a change in alignment. People oppose change by nature. Look at all the compains in 85 when the high mount brake lights started hitting the roads. Now nobody even gives them a thought.

As far as sed53's comment, I have no clue what he is babbling about. Basic drivers education class teaches you to look to the offside when faced with oncoming headlights either main or dipped. If you are really tempted to play deer with oncoming headlights oerhaos you should be in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Heh, I'd forgotten about the raised tail lights but now that you mention it, I remember some guy getting out of his car at an intersection and banging on my parent's window screaming that our raised tail light was too bright and they couldn't see (this was on an Audi 4000CS Quattro, not exactly a large vehicle)!

It was a ridiculous scene. Pretty crazy considering that it is pretty well documented how much they improve safety. Ironically, that car got rear-ended three times during the 12+ years they owned it, all during the daytime though...

Personally it is to the point where I don't even feel safe anymore driving in certain conditions with a car that does not have newer xenon/led lights. I have gotten used to actually being able to *see* the road, and with older lights, you just don't see nearly as well. Fact.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
203 Posts
Good first post ced53 We could do with more people like you on this forum.(not!!!).If you think we are antisocial why join the club.
Probably not even a RR Driver! probably got a Smart Car of one of those Toyota Pious's!! Sorry, Prius!!:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts