RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so problem/symptoms are:

- it doesn't matter where the headlight switch it set the headlights stay on as long as the ignition is on/car is on and won't turn off.
- high beams wont work.
- Turnsignals don't turn on when signalling or locking/unlocking.
- license plate lights dont turn on
- dash lights don't work (speedo, tach, signals, highbeam,) backlighting on the center console does not work (but the lighting behind the A/C controls does, buttons when pressed, etc)
- brake light stays lit even though I just changed all the brake pads (could be related or not)

So Its like the "parking" setting on the headlight switch doesn't work to turn on the associated outside bulbs and the interior bulbs. My headlight switch IS stripped (I can essentially keep rotating it around the clock as the little plastic catch pieces inside seem to have broke off).

I've ordered a new headlight switch...anything else you think this could be? The brake light has me somewhat worried/confused.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Is it the high beams that are on (the smaller inner ones?) Could be the car is configured for daytime running lights which will turn on the high beams at half power no matter what the light switch is in (even off). The only way to get them to turn off is the engage the parking brake.

If the brake pads were worn down enough to wear away the brake pad sensor attached to the inner brake pad on any of the wheels, you will get a check brake pad warning in the message display below the speedometer. If the red brake light (says BRAKE) is lit then that is your parking brake engaged warning. The 08's have an electronic parking brake and they are a real pain to work on. If its the ABS light it could be any number of things.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the regular low beam (HID-Bi-xenon) that stay on. My parking light (little circle below the turn signal) doens't turn on at all...and my turnsignals don't flash.

When I replaced the front pads I was getting the occasional "check brake pads" the the BRAKE in RED started lighting up shortly after. Thought it was the pads so I replaced those....the pads still had life on them and didn't make it down to the wear sensor.....so thought maybe the error and RED BRAKE was due to low brake fluid...however after replacing the pads with the new thickness it brought the brake fluid up to max.

It is the RED BRAKE light and I made sure multiple times the electronic brake was not on...I'm not getting an ABS light however.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe I should check the front pad sensor anyway I hear if you unplug the sensor and stick a paperclip in both holes of the socket going to the car making a loop it will allow the car to think the sensor is good which will let you know the sensor has gone bad.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No it’s only the low beams (bi-xenon) that stay on. The parking lights under the turn signals don’t light up when the parking lights are on not do the turn signals work.

I actually replaced the front pads before of the red “BRAKE” but the pads still had some life left...it didn’t get down to the wear sensor. I’ve checked multiple times to make sure the electric emergency brake is not on. My ABS light is not lit up

The new (used) HL switch came in and I put it in. All the issues still exist! Guess to see if there is a fuse or relay that handles all these things that went bad.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got the lights issue worked out.

Still have the red BRAKE light. Replaced front brake pad sensor with new....no dice. Only thing left I can think of is changing the rear brake sensor...I hear it's a bit harder to get to than the front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts