RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird question, I'd be pleased/impressed if someone knew what was going on.

When I start the car, all the headlight functions work perfectly for about 5 seconds. Then for the next 30 seconds, the 'AUTO' selection on the headlight knob causes a loss of almost all lighting (no low beams, no DRLs, no parking lights, no side markers, even the tail lights don't work apart from the brake lights I believe). I'm not 100% positive, but I believe turn signal / indictator lighting doesn't work either.

This all only occurs during those first ~30 seconds-ish soon after ignition ONLY when on 'AUTO' is selected on the lighting knob. Starting the car in 'off', 'headlights on' or 'parking lights' mode and then turning to 'Auto' results in the same problem. Turning the knob to 'parking lights' or regular 'headlights on' mode restores normal function, even during those 30 seconds. After about 30 seconds, all my lighting comes back completely normal!

Not a huge deal, but quite dangerous if I use 'Auto' mode and I drive without any sort of lighting for ~30 seconds after I start the car up.

Yes, solution = don't use 'auto'. Got it, just kind of wondering why mine does this and if there is any solution.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Mine did that for about 2 weeks. I had to manually turn on the lights. Then it just mysteriously stopped a few weeks later.

Gotta love Rovers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol its so weird! I think it was normal when I bought the car, but it still does it now. Hopefully someone has a solution. I think resetting the computers / pulling the positive terminal on the battery would do more harm than potential good

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

I think I have the same problem as RWDRIFT described here, except I never replaced my windshield (still factory).

Anybody have any idea why the headlights turn off after about 10 seconds in 'Auto' mode at night time when it's completely dark outside?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2008.
When you Start the car everything turns on.
At 14sec it turns off
A/v off flashes on display
At 1:10sec it all turns back on.
This exact timing happens every time .
This has been happening since I changed my windshield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
05 range rover,, I just had my windshield replaced and having the same issue. Auto lights work for for 5 or 10 seconds then all goes out for 30 seconds, then all back on. I also noticed that the auto wipers doesnt work now either and that really sucks. Someone please answer this question for us!!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,945 Posts
Maybe Dave will chime in here,
he is one of the sharpest guys in the trade,
and pops in from time to time

·
Registered
703 Posts
Replace the sensor pad and clean the sensor "eye". I did this on my Rover and the lights/wipers work correctly again.

There's a writeup with pics I posted in another thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts