Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find anything with the search feature, but was wondering if anyone could "shed some light" (sorry for the pun), on my small problem.

When turning off the engine with the headlights on, removing the ignition key and opening the door (and shutting it) - no "beep" and warning of the headlights being left on is displayed.

Any ideas? Also When starting the vehicle I get no sound or message to encourage me to put on my seat belt? Do you think the two "faults" could be connected?

Would be great to know if anyone has had similar problems and was able to fix them?

Cheers, Tony. :think:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do you get any "door open" warning when opening the drivers door with the engine running?
Maybe the switch that tells the BECM "door open" is bad and only says "door closed"?
As far as I know the warning only comes on when the drivers door is opened.

And I'd be happy if such a dumb feature like a seatbelt warning would stop working (I don't have it anyway :D ).

Sigi

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Have you ever had the warning? Perhaps it's turned off in the BECM :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Do your interior lights turn on when you open the driver's door? If not, you most likely have a failing door switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, this forum certainly produces results!

The diagnosis of a faulty door switch appers to be 100% correct! If you guys had the "patience" you coud have been Doctors!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Yes, 'the driver's door open' warning does not appear when I open the door with the engine running. Also I have been having problems recently with the interior light not coming on when the driver's door is opened.

Would I be correct in installing a new door switch to fix the problem? I assume that the switch is in the door attached to the opening mechanism?

Thanks again for your invaluable help! Cheers, Tony. :thumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey a fellow Perth member.. Cool :D

By the looks of things the door locking mechanism will have to be removed. You may be able to get away with just squirting some WD40 or CRC in there to hopefully clean the contacts.

If you need any EAS resets let me know. I've got the reset tool and software and cable :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Shadow Keeper said:
If you need any EAS resets let me know. I've got the reset tool and software and cable :D

Errr scratch that I see you have your own :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shadow Keeper said:
Hey a fellow Perth member.. Cool :D

By the looks of things the door locking mechanism will have to be removed. You may be able to get away with just squirting some WD40 or CRC in there to hopefully clean the contacts.

Thanks "Shadow Keeper" (fellow 'Swan Riverite'), for the good 'info'. Would I be correct in assuming that, if by spraying the door locking mechanism to clean the contacts is not sucessful, do I need to replace the entire door locking mechanism? :pray:

Many thanks for the offer of help on the EAS, by "the grace of God" I am running OK at the moment, but who knows what tomorrow brings as a P38a owner!! :pray:

Cheers, Tony

·
Registered
148 Posts
Tonys said:
Would I be correct in assuming that, if by spraying the door locking mechanism to clean the contacts is not sucessful, do I need to replace the entire door locking mechanism? :pray:

Cheers, Tony
Thankfully I have not had the misfortune of anything going wrong with my door locks so I haven't had the need to pull anything apart yet.. I assume if the lock had to be pulled out then perhaps the offending parts could be cleaned more thoroughly. Rave doesn't show the part in enough detail and unfortunatey Barbagello's/ other shonky dealers prefer to replace parts and not do what in essence could be a simple fix eg. They quoted me $4000.00 to fix an EAS problem which I fixed for around $250.00. If I find any more info I'll let you know :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the "feed back", completely understand the motives of the "Main Stealers" and we are their "lawful prey"!

Thank goodness for this forum where fellow owners can help each other. I really don't think without this support I could maintain my beloved P38a! :thumb:

You can see why, (most unfortunately) "Rangies" loose their resale value so quickly. But then again, this is most fortunate for a lot of us who like to travel in ultimate luxury, (most of the time)!, and enjoy the best 4 wheel drive vehicle on the market, without having to sell our houses to pay for the privilege!! :thumb:

Cheers, Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts