RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the right hand headlight out for replacement since I took a major hit on the highyway, busted the glass.

Having a time removing the headlight motor, the retaining nut and threaded collar spins together.
Wondering if I'm missing something like a hold button on the motor itself.

G

·
0 Posts
Looks like they may have seized together. I can also see from the damage at the end of the collar that you have been trying to get a tool on that end. Your best bet is to use some PB Blaster to try and free it up, file a couple of flats on the large base of the collar and get a wrench on the bottom part and a ring spanner on the nut. If you still have problems, use a dremel or similar and cut the nut off the collar [careful not to damage the threads]. My guess would be that the collar is insert moulded into the plastic and won't come out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. Range Rover said:
Looks like they may have seized together. I can also see from the damage at the end of the collar that you have been trying to get a tool on that end. Your best bet is to use some PB Blaster to try and free it up, file a couple of flats on the large base of the collar and get a wrench on the bottom part and a ring spanner on the nut. If you still have problems, use a dremel or similar and cut the nut off the collar [careful not to damage the threads]. My guess would be that the collar is insert moulded into the plastic and won't come out.
Trying PB now since the nut is seized. The flat part under the nut is just a flat washer, not connected to the collar.

I guess I'm confused as to why the threaded collar is rotating, unless at one point it didn't... which is no good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE!

Ordered a used replacement motor off of eBay, turned out to be DOA I think... driver's side works as expected.

Is there anything I need to do to get the replacement to work other than just plugging it in?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
all you need to do is plug it in! The old one should come off in about 2.4 seconds not secrets, just unscrew the nut that holds it on. If it won't come off it's broke, so get it off however need be.. I have several of them for sale...

www.socalusedroverparts.com

Scotty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts