RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after flickering on and off for awhile, my left xenon went out, the dealer told me that the headlight ecu went bad.

is there anything i can check to make sure this isnt something minor?

is this normal? i have a 2004 RR HSE.

The dash says check dip beam level :x

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
I would try swapping sides with the xenon bulbs first to see if the problem swaps over with them. If not, then it could be the gas discharge control module. In my case it was a dodgy connection which swapping the bulbs over cured. :)

Phil

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RRPhil said:
I would try swapping sides with the xenon bulbs first to see if the problem swaps over with them. If not, then it could be the gas discharge control module. In my case it was a dodgy connection which swapping the bulbs over cured. :)

Phil

is it hard to get to the xenon ? and do they pop right out?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
Yes, the xenon bulbs are easy to get to & remove – they’re behind the circular access covers on the back of the lights (shown green below). To get at the (additional) main beam halogen bulb on the RH side you’d have had to remove the air filter but the xenon bulb should be accessible without having to resort to this.

Just don’t drop the bulbs (or touch the glass) – they’re very expensive! Oh, and make sure everything’s turned off first (28,000 volts and all that!) :shock:

There’s some photos here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31259

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blackrange05 said:
it could also be the igniter (ballast) it went out on mine and was covered under warranty. However, They arnt that expensive.
how much?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RRPhil said:

Phil

the dealer told me it was the headlight ecu that went bad, are there 2 of these on Ranges? if there is only 1 and it went bad, then both lights would be out..im thinking its either the bulb or the ballast?

what do you think?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
I think we might be getting confused over the terminology :? .

There is an ECU called the Light Check Module which controls all the external lights. Cars fitted with Bi-Xenon lights also have a headlamp levelling ECU.

However, I suspect what your dealer is calling the ‘headlight ECU’ is the same component that I’m calling the ‘gas discharge control module’ and blackrange05 is calling the ‘igniter’ or ‘ballast’. There’s one of these for each headlamp (pictured below) and its part number is YWC000500.

And, yes, if on swapping the bulbs over the problem stays on the same side then it’s most likely to be a fault with the ECU/control module/ballast (whatever you want to call it :) ) on that side.

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RRPhil said:
I think we might be getting confused over the terminology :? .

There is an ECU called the Light Check Module which controls all the external lights. Cars fitted with Bi-Xenon lights also have a headlamp levelling ECU.

However, I suspect what your dealer is calling the ‘headlight ECU’ is the same component that I’m calling the ‘gas discharge control module’ and blackrange05 is calling the ‘igniter’ or ‘ballast’. There’s one of these for each headlamp (pictured below) and its part number is YWC000500.

And, yes, if on swapping the bulbs over the problem stays on the same side then it’s most likely to be a fault with the ECU/control module/ballast (whatever you want to call it :) ) on that side.

Phil
Now im really confused! I just swapped the bulbs and then neither side was working? when i swapped them back the passenger side was working again.

????

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
sounds like the ballast went and took the bulb with it...

bulbs are actually real expensive from the dealer, so is the ballast.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brad s1 said:
sounds like the ballast went and took the bulb with it...

bulbs are actually real expensive from the dealer, so is the ballast.

any idea what i could get them both for aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
No idea... dealer wanted just about $400 US for a single new bulb, the ballast was $350 I believe...

I ended up pulling my d2s bulbs out of my mustang and putting them in the rover, since I never drive the mustang it doesn't need headlights anyway. :D

When I replace them any d2s bulb will work online, they're usually around $60-$200 for a pair depending on brand... the ballast I'd get from a rover parts connection.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The ballast module in the pic above is made in France so there should be a generic replacement out there that costs a little less then the Land Rover part. I doubt the Land Rover invented high intesity discharge lamps.
Same for the bulbs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think i have the same problem too.Sometimes when turning the headlights on only 1 will come on but if i turn the switch 5-10 times the other headlight pops on.Starting to bug me the dealer and the independent rover shop just want to replace the headlights im wondering if the ballast module would fix this too?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
minnesota mitch said:
I think i have the same problem too.Sometimes when turning the headlights on only 1 will come on but if i turn the switch 5-10 times the other headlight pops on.Starting to bug me the dealer and the independent rover shop just want to replace the headlights im wondering if the ballast module would fix this too?
well i would try to fix it before the ballast goes and then blows the light too, i think thats what happened to me, and its just gonna cost more now :oops:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
860 Posts
brad s1 said:
No idea... dealer wanted just about $400 US for a single new bulb, the ballast was $350 I believe...

I ended up pulling my d2s bulbs out of my mustang and putting them in the rover, since I never drive the mustang it doesn't need headlights anyway. :D

When I replace them any d2s bulb will work online, they're usually around $60-$200 for a pair depending on brand... the ballast I'd get from a rover parts connection.
Bubs on sale at our sponsor's website:
http://www.xtremerovers.com/range-rover ... -p-19.html
$100.00 each

If you replace one your should replace both so the have the same appearance.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
brad s1 said:

is the install of the ballast and new light tough? something I could do?

thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ace95,

Were you able to get it fixed? Does anyone else have any idea why even after replacing the ballast, the lights could still be acting the same way?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts