RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use the 3M headlight restoration kit before with any success?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Anyone ever use the 3M headlight restoration kit before with any success?
Yes. Be careful though, it requires wet sanding which when done, might make you stand back in horror. However, the final compound step will bring back the new look. It works well I have done 4 or 5 cars so far. All you are doing is abrading away the top surface and removing UV damage.

Note that you can also purchase some 800, 1200 and 2000 grit sandpaper and a good compound such as Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and achieve the same results. Using a Porter Cable to compound is highly recommended.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ImageUploadedByAG Free1410794438.061892.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1410794482.029652.jpg

I used a kit on my mercedes and it worked fantastic !

Wet sanded with 2 different grades of sand paper then polished if I remember

Not sure if you can tell from pics but you sure could when looking in front view

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks. does the compound have to be re-applied at all to keep the clear finish up?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
We use it here on our car lot religiously. Once completed the headlights look brand new, crystal clear. You will not need to reapply/redo for several years. It is much like doing a cut and polish on your paint.

·
Registered
318 Posts
ok, thanks. does the compound have to be re-applied at all to keep the clear finish up?
No. It will remain clear until the sun/elements re-cloud the lenses. I understand this can be a daunting task, but remember light, even pressure and wet sand by hand - key word being wet. Keep those lenses wet or you risk scratching that is too deep. You must follow the step down to a fine grit of at least 1500 if you want your compound to bring back the factory new look (and it will, trust me the results are brilliant).

I do keep a coat of wax on my headlights (and taillights) for extra beading and protection.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
327 Posts
After you do it and it's back to perfect, I would shoot a few coats of clear coat over them. It works. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, have a paint shop do it so it comes out perfect...won't cost but a few bucks for their time.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Those headlight restoration kits are for plastic. Depends on what rover you have 2002-2005 the headlight lens is actually glass, to restore it you simply replace the glass which is cheap enough. I noticed my 2007 has plastic which would polish up nicely with that kit.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
327 Posts
Those headlight restoration kits are for plastic. Depends on what rover you have 2002-2005 the headlight lens is actually glass, to restore it you simply replace the glass which is cheap enough. I noticed my 2007 has plastic which would polish up nicely with that kit.
It's pretty easy with the kit. I did it on mine and it looks brand new. Clearcoat and wax it as you do your truck and it will stay looking that way.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's pretty easy with the kit. I did it on mine and it looks brand new. Clearcoat and wax it as you do your truck and it will stay looking that way.
Hmm...not sure about the clear coat. What does it bite into once you've completed the restoration and your headlights are back to factory new looking?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Hmm...not sure about the clear coat. What does it bite into once you've completed the restoration and your headlights are back to factory new looking?
That and you probably don't want clear coat being in direct contact with your lighting as it's just going to yellow over time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts