RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my RH bulb finally blew, looking for a replacement.

A quick search on the forum shows that Osram Silverstars are the preferred aftermarket bulb, but the last post was ~2 years ago. Are these still the best on the market?
On the osram site there is a series called 'nightbreaker', and they have been getting some pretty good reviews, I might give them a shot.

Comments?
Also, where do I get them in Australia? Or is ebay the easiest solution

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
They do seem nice but last about 1 year if you have daytime running lights enabled [we do] At more than $30 cdn. each I now bought a well touted ebay set. I'm not sure if worse or better but at total of about $15 for 2 bulbs delivered I'm trying them out. Six months in and they have not yet burned. Good luckm with your choice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I found an old H4 bulb and swapped it in, and much to my surprise, the bulb that had been in there was a 90/100w bulb! (hey.. my dad was looking after the car before, only recently i have started to take over). Bulb has been in there for a long time, and as far as I know no electrical problems. Although the previous owner might have uprated all the wiring (I have a harness for additional driving lights)

Im going to order a pair of the Nightbreakers (55/60w), will post up a comparison with the 90/100w bulb.

If they are a decent step up i'll probably order a set of H7s so my high beam colour is uniform.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I fitted
Philips Xtreme +80% H4's and also replaced High beams and parkers ,got the from Autobarn,big difference to O/E :dance:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I already wrote something about the Osram Night Breakers some time ago, I installed them in my dipped/low beam and in my main/high beam lamps.

They are much brighter and whiter and make a huge difference to the original lights (on my P38a no light failed in 13 years!).
They are expensive, but I can recommend them to anyone looking for better light output from their stock lights.

Sigi

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
munichp38a said:
I already wrote something about the Osram Night Breakers some time ago, I installed them in my dipped/low beam and in my main/high beam lamps.

They are much brighter and whiter and make a huge difference to the original lights (on my P38a no light failed in 13 years!).
They are expensive, but I can recommend them to anyone looking for better light output from their stock lights.

Sigi

Any comments about their lifetime? Im assuming they will burn out a lot quicker than the normal bulbs. ~How long do/will they last?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I installed them about half a year ago and no bulb has failed yet, but I don't have Daytime Running Lights and I only switch them on when they are needed.

I assume that the electronics and wiring by the Prince of Darkness, Lord Lucas help a bit with bulb lifetime as the voltage at the bulb is very likely somewhat limited by the long way through the car the power has to take (battery - engine bay fusebox - becm - bulb) => longer bulb lifetime.

Sigi

·
Registered
276 Posts
Speaking of the devil...

2 weeks ago, the left main/high beam Nightbreaker lamp failed while flashing the mains...

So they lasted about half a year.

Sigi

·
Registered
275 Posts
I installed Philips Vision Plus (50%+) in low beam (H4) and Philips Premium in high beam (H1)- low beam burns out every 11 months - but much greater output than standard bulbs - have triede Extreme bulbs - not impressed - plus the high beam is not as good as with the Vision Plus bulbs - so my choice is to stick to well known and proven technology...

Ferdinand - Fiat Lux!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Has nobody tried the HID conversion kits yet? They are very good and much brighter than ordinary Xemon. I do not know what they are like for constant use though. I am looking at fitting a set as they are now selling for between £40 and £80 here for the whole kit. They were ten times that price 2 years ago.

:pray:

·
Registered
922 Posts
g'day Mekadodo,
bought some Phillips +50 for high and low beam about 12 m ago from one of the local auto discount chains. Was skeptical of difference so I decided to do a reflective test at night using a known stretch of road where several new speed signs had been placed. I parked a set distance from the signs and then used the light sensor on a digital camera to measure shutter speed required for fixed aperture photograph of the sign before and after the headlight bulbs were changed...bit dodgy experiemental set up but reasonable for the exercise :D . The +50s resulted in a drop from about a 1 sec exposure required to 0.4 seconds...don't know what that means exactly except that there was " measurably" more light reflected from the sign...RR parked in exactly same spot , same settings on camera, weather conditions very similar...
cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
I fitted my rover with a Bi-xenon kit 6000k bulbs and I'd NEVER go back....and the brights are blinding! lighting up the road like its daytime...I've never been in another car with brighter lights than my rover.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't deny that the bi-xenon set up provided a real improvement... the problem is for the oncoming driver ...
Poorly aligned bi-xenons are a menace to oncoming drivers.. and many are poorly aligned. further, travelling at night at relatively high speed with bi-xenons on high beam and having to dip the lights for some reason means that you will probably be driving outside the range of the low beam lights...plus the time needed for your eyes to become accustomed to the lower available light... ...I don't know what the answer is...other than perhaps the headup infra red display being offered on some models... I think that technology has real beneficial possibilities ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts