RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

My SC RRS was in a minor accident a while back and required a new driver's-side headlight. This means the passenger-side one is original to the car. I noticed at night that the new headlight is naturally brighter than the original one, but it looks as though the projector on the original one is a little foggy, almost like it has a cataract. Has anyone had any experience with renewing the projector lens to clear up some of the fog?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
How old is your RRS? Is it just a bulb issue? If it's also the reflector then maybe your insurance can pay for both headlamps which at least $1500 each.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
That's sometimes a tough sell to get an insurance company to cover the cost. It does happen but rarely due to it being age related. You need to look at it the same as paint. If your in an accident and your paints 7 years old and faded and they paint the hood and fender its going to be fresh and shiny compared to vehicle, that doesn't mean they will paint the whole thing to match. With headlamps you can bring up safety issue as your not supposed to have mismatched headlamp temps/brightness. They may pay for a new bulb to try and remedy issue and if you nicely voice your concern they may cave and replace the lamp.

As far as reconditioning its not an easy task and if you've never broke down a sealed lamp unit yur probably going to break something or cause moisture issues later on, best to leave it alone

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll start with the new bulb and then go from there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you referring to the lens cover? tons of products available for ~$30 or so from you local auto parts store. All you'll need is some elbow grease
or the actual projector inside the lamp? - it is possible but risky.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, it's the lens of the HD projector itself. It appears that the new one is much clearer than the older one. Wondering if it could be cleaned, and if so, how?

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
If it is glass, which I would assume it is, it can be polished with the same process as your windshield. It would require a delicate touch, full disassembly, glass compound and a small polisher. Anyone I know that has tried on other makes always breaks something in the process and had to purchase an entire new unit. Have you tried matching new bulb yet? If not make sure you pull the newly installed one to match it to ensure same branding.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
To add to this the "cataract" cloudiness very well could be the reflection of the old bulb. HID bulbs do get that smoky cloudiness to them and you may just be seeing that color coming through the projection glass.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I'll report back when the new bulbs arrive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts