RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see plenty of kits for 03-05 vehicles, but can't find anything in the US for 2006+ with one piece headlights. I plan on opening them up to replace just the lens rather than shell out $$$ for entire headlight replacements.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
BMW years had replaceable lenses due to market differences. Ford years are one piece without replaceable lenses. Unless you have physical damage use a headlight restoration kit. Of course make sure to follow the directions. Many folks have done more damage to their plastic and glass lenses during the restoration process.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Those are high impact headlight covers, not new lenses.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have your lenses restored correctly. As long as they’re in one piece, they’re salvageable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
RRToadHall,
I dont think you are correct about these just being covers. If you read the description its says they are replacements. I have purchased one and will have it in a couple weeks and we will know for sure....
[h=1]Range Rover Vogue L322 - Headlight lens plastic covers[/h]
  • OEM - ORIGINAL parts with the high level of quality provided by Land Rover
  • Replace your old covers with brand new crystal-clear ones
  • Top quality is guaranteed
  • The lense covers are made from highly durable molded polycarbonate
  • Fits HALOGEN and XENON headlights
  • SPECIAL GLUE IS NEEDED FOR REPLACEMENT: BUY HERE ($19)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
688 Posts

This can’t turn out well.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He was wrong.

They are complete lens replacements. Videos from their site on YouTube regarding the replacement process.

RRToadHall,
I dont think you are correct about these just being covers. If you read the description its says they are replacements. I have purchased one and will have it in a couple weeks and we will know for sure....
[h=1]Range Rover Vogue L322 - Headlight lens plastic covers[/h]

• OEM - ORIGINAL parts with the high level of quality provided by Land Rover
  • Replace your old covers with brand new crystal-clear ones
  • Top quality is guaranteed
  • The lense covers are made from highly durable molded polycarbonate
  • Fits HALOGEN and XENON headlights
  • SPECIAL GLUE IS NEEDED FOR REPLACEMENT: BUY HERE ($19)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Have your lenses restored correctly. As long as they’re in one piece, they’re salvageable.
This, it's not even hard to restore them, how do you screw that up? What type of damage are we talking about here? Medium cut on a medium cut rotory pad, lite cut on a medium pad, fishing polish... they're new. You can do the same by hand it just takes substantially longer. Hell you can even polish them back with a rag and a chocolate bar.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
688 Posts
Meaning I’m going to sit back and eat popcorn and have a beer while I watch where this goes.
But considering the 06 and newer seem to be assembled such that they may not have been meant to be taken apart lest it ruin the integrity, it might open up other issues. Water intrusion for one.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The picture of the headlight cover on their site is from a 2010 to 2012 RR. The 06 to 09's have the projector lens molded into the cover over the inner headlight bulb. The 2010s and up are smooth across the whole face of the lens. Their application on the page does say 06 to 12 but the headlight assemblies are different across that span of time. Hope they have two different styles of covers and they send the right ones because that alot of money for a pair of covers that do not appear correct, and may or may not fit your headlight assembly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mark
I actually ordered one for my 2011 even though this thread started out talking about an 07 (which I have one of also), so we won't know if they are the same.......at least not this time around. I am trying to decipher what you mean by the construction difference between the 06-09 and 10-12 though. They look the same to me but maybe I am missing something. Also, to the comment about not being meant to be disassembled. Yes, it can be problematic but I have done this on my M5 and my current Alpina B7. When reassembling you have to use this stuff. http://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-retrorubber-butyl-glue-50245.html

The picture of the headlight cover on their site is from a 2010 to 2012 RR. The 06 to 09's have the projector lens molded into the cover over the inner headlight bulb. The 2010s and up are smooth across the whole face of the lens. Their application on the page does say 06 to 12 but the headlight assemblies are different across that span of time. Hope they have two different styles of covers and they send the right ones because that alot of money for a pair of covers that do not appear correct, and may or may not fit your headlight assembly.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
You can disassemble the 06 to 09 headlight body from the lens. They are glued together, and also held together with about a dozen u shaped metal clips around the perimeter of the clear lens but if you remove the lens and either heat the joint with a heat gun or stick it in the oven at about 225 to 250 degrees for about 15 minutes the glue will soften and you can pry them apart. Yes you can damage the lens with to much heat, especially if you are doing it with a heat gun. So if the lens is actually for an 06 to 09 he may be all set. Just don't like people listing a apart for a specific vehicle that is not correct. At least give a part number for an 06 to 09 and another for the 10 to 12, and show pictures for both kinds.

This is an 06 to 09 headlamp:
s-l1600.jpg

This is a 10 to 12 headlamp:

s-l1601.jpg

You tell me if one cover will fit the other application, I'm thinking not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I see the difference now. You might be wondering, if this guy has a 2007 and a 2011, why cant he just go look at the difference on his trucks? Fair question but both of these trucks are Christmas gifts for two of my kids and neither are parked here at the house. They are at separate places until Christmas. One is at the body shop having the paint buffed and polished and I discovered the headlight lens needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
309 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I've used BimmerJake for BMW lenses and was happy with results. Shipping isn't overnight, with these coming from the ex-Soviet and now independent Baltic country, but the quality was good and it was the only feasible option for my BMW wagon and my friend's X5, save for entire headlight replacement.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
After a while i forget who started the thread, or what year cars they own, so I just pump out the info I have. that said my headlights were getting yellowed and pretty well pitted, and trying all those 3M polish kits etc just ate away at the UV coating on certain areas of the lens so they would start getting cloud faster. So I found this Lite right 12 stuff at Ryder Fleet store

satlrc12.jpg

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ryder/af/ryder/core/content/product/srm/oid/173754/erm/productDetail.do?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=product&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6pLZBRCxARIsALaaY9b67uW9UfMA-lyZV4_enL2tKxTtY2-iVs5Px2rIlpNwbNcHJ_69780aAmUmEALw_wcB

You do need to sand the lens with fine paper 600 or less. When put on per their instructions (follow it to the letter) you will end up with a crystal clear lens with a really hard finish on them, unlike clear coats and other products. It's used by commercial truckers for their headlights so putting a ton of miles on the vehicle should present no problems like chipping and fading. Mine have remained basically the same for the last 18 months.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts