RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left hand headlamp wiper won't stop It moves about 30 degrees, pauses for a few seconds, then moves another 30 degrees. Right side is happily parked. Couldn't see anything similar in the archives, but some suggestion that the washer pump may be involved. Obviously I have removed the fuse for now but has anyone seen this behaviour before and know what the cause is?

Thanks

John

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
It is most likely to be a dodgy park switch in the motor unit itself. They work by getting a trigger from the relay, and then the motor is powered through the park switch, until the switch is tripped and shuts off the power to the motor. So a dodgy park switch will keep the power going through to the motor, so the wiper will keep going.

I don't know if the switches are replaceable, or whether it's just easier to replace the whole wiper motor unit.

Hope this helps,
Marty

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bit more information. It appears that the motor contains a temperature / current limit device as the motor moves for a second, stops for several seconds, then I can hear a faint click and the process repeats. Overcurrent was caused by a partial jam of the shaft and some penetrating oil has freed this so I now have a continuously operating, but not parking, motor. If I grab the arm and force it to travel slightly further towards the horizontal, then I can get it to park.

My problem now is that I can't get the motor off the headlight frame. The threaded portion is turning with the large nut and there is nowhere to grip it to stop it turning while I remove the nut. If I undo the screws holding the motor halves together (and that won't be easy) will I be able to get at the threaded part from behind?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
Erm... yeah, it might be a case of having to cut the nut off to get the motor out...

I have the same thing on a spare headlamp housing of mine - I think the wiper motor works on it, but I was wanting to remove it for a spare, but got to the same point as you and got stuck. I tried a pipe wrench on the threaded bit to hold it as I was undoing the nut, but it just started to rip the thread up a bit.

I'll have a look in RAVE and see if I can find out how they recommend doing it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts