RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
So for a while I have wanted to upgrade the L322 Headunit. I wanted one that would look OEM. I came up with the following: US $189.23 22% OFF|10.25

INTRO

It's a 10.25" Android Headunit. It is compatible with the 2002-2004 L322 BMW system. It will not work on 2005+ L322's as they do not have BMW based electronics. It was purchased from AliExpress, came in 5 days. I chose the more expensive processor (PX6), in my opinion its worth the extra money. The headunit works flawlessly with the L322 (02-04), DSP AMP or not, it works perfectly.

INSTALL

The install was not that difficult, you can do it at home. You need:

• Headunit
  • Long BMW Quad-lock extension cable
PROCESS

You must run the BMW Quad-Lock Extended Cable from the back of the vehicle to the front. Imagine the original headunit like a computer monitor. Unfortunately the computer is in the trunk of the vehicle next to the amplifier & navigation unit. So when you install this new "monitor" you have to run a new cable (Quad-Lock BMW Connector) from the computer (In the trunk) all the way to your new monitor (headunit).

Actually running the wire is not too hard, you can hide all of it within the trim pieces of the vehicle. I ran mine from the driver-side. You can look up videos on how to remove the front dash, not difficult.

iBUS Interface

This is optional. The iBus interface allows your vehicle to communicate with your L322. The interface utilizes an android based app called "iBus APP". The iBus Interface plugs has two sides, one is a USB male side that plugs into one of the USB ports from the new headunit, the other side has 3 wires, these wires need to be tapped into the original wiring loom from the original headunit. This sounds harder than it is, 3 cables from original headunit plug tapped into by new iBus interface wires.

Exactly which wires you ask? All that information is here: IBUS interface – modBMW

Once your iBus interface is hooked up, you install the "iBus APP" on to your new android headunit and the app will detect the interface, from there on you have to make an in-app purchase, i think it was less than $50. That payment is basically an "unlocking fee", once paid the iBus APP will access every single inch of your L322.

iBus App Noticeable Features:

• Parking Sensor Graphics with distance from object being displayed in centimetres.
  • View all information (coolant temp, mileage, speed, voltage, etc) on the OBC screen.
  • All original settings accessed through the original headunit can be controlled using the iBus App.
  • Program DRL lighting however you want.
  • Shows you which doors, windows, sunroof, hood or trunk are open, if open.
Positive Notes:

• After installing this headunit, my L322 sounds like an Audiophiles dream come true. Everything, from the bass to the acoustics, it is all PERFECT. I have not heard a sound system better than my current L322 and all it required was a new $400 headunit.
  • You can download google maps and use the offline maps feature, basically the best navigation system in the world.
Down Sides:

- I did not like the resolution of the android headunit, but have grown use to it.

Some Pictures of iBus App:

Reactions: datafoo and RR876

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
407 Posts
Niiiiice upgrade, thanks a lot for sharing!

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
277 Posts
Just FYI the market has a variety of similar units for late model L322s on the fiber system. I don't have links on hand but they retain most all the features that the factory infotainment system had.

Cost averages about $900 retail but they are available for both L322s and L405s.

Great install BTW. Glad to see more people adding real tech to their older rides!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
63 Posts
wow this looks so cool! I did not have success trying to install the Enon android unit as I could not get sound to come on. Might be a DSP issue but I couldn't figure it out. Does this unit bypass the DSP? When you say BMW quad-lock cable, is it the 6M Extension Power cable on the aliexpress site? That website is in serious need of an interface update...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just FYI the market has a variety of similar units for late model L322s on the fiber system. I don't have links on hand but they retain most all the features that the factory infotainment system had.

Cost averages about $900 retail but they are available for both L322s and L405s.

Great install BTW. Glad to see more people adding real tech to their older rides!
Is there ANY change you can post a link for a unit that would work for a 2008 RR with the denso headhunit?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
687 Posts
^^^^^^
What Agoltz asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow this looks so cool! I did not have success trying to install the Enon android unit as I could not get sound to come on. Might be a DSP issue but I couldn't figure it out. Does this unit bypass the DSP? When you say BMW quad-lock cable, is it the 6M Extension Power cable on the aliexpress site? That website is in serious need of an interface update...
Yes this unit does not bypass it, but rather interacts with it. Yes by quad-lock, I mean the 6M extension cable.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+ 2 on the later head units

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk
I believe this should work on the newer gen L322’s.

C$ 1,292.26 30% Off | Car Multimedia Player Stereo GPS DVD Radio Navigation Android for Land Rover Range Range Rover V8 L322 2002~2012

Reactions: datafoo

·
Registered
63 Posts
How do you like the fit and finish? I am trying to go for a OEM look.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks Eddie - Looks about right. The big question I suppose will be whether it will really all the car info on Canbus. (BMW and RR were different and the system spans both).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you like the fit and finish? I am trying to go for a OEM look.
I like the fit and finish of it. Good quality item granted it’s from China. As long as you spend the top dollar for the base PX6 processor, you’d have a good product. The sound is amazing, I just don’t like the super wide resolution of the screen, but that just takes getting used to. I wanted an OEM look and this gets very close. The only thing to blend this and make it even more OEM is to wrap the black frame of the headunit in the same colour as what you’d wrap your wood trims in. In my case, black wrapped headunit trim paired with black wrapped wood trim pieces.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
181 Posts
Can you post picks of the OEM/factory controls with the new screen. Not cheap, but looks like the best unit available in years. The fit is amazing. Am concerned, like other past options many lose the factory screen options. I need to confirm compatibility with Datafoo's link for the later non-BMW version. 2006-2009.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
181 Posts
I did not like the resolution of the android headunit, but have grown use to it.
Whats not to like compared to the OEM screen?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you document on you ran the wiring for both front and rear camera? I just ordered this unit and can't wait to install it. Hoping it won't have the DSP issue with the Eonon unit...

·
Registered
63 Posts
and before I click the Buy button...can you share the link for the proper extension harness? I am not exactly clear on which one to buy.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I believe this should work on the newer gen L322’s.

C$ 1,292.26 30% Off | Car Multimedia Player Stereo GPS DVD Radio Navigation Android for Land Rover Range Range Rover V8 L322 2002~2012
Yeah I believe these will work. Good Post!
There are about a dozen different versions out there. This one has newer OS which I strongly advocate for.

You may want to email PowerfulUK and see if they have anything. They used to carry a version for the L405 which should work for late model 2005+ L322s.

Unfortunately it's a little bit of work on your part to ensure it enables all the things you want it to. For example none of these will work with the Digital Surround Cameras on 2011-2012's.

Other things to keep in mind:

1. These are all outdated Android OS. If you can buy something with Android 9 or greater you're probably ok but be aware of the potential for malware. Probably low risk but just be aware.
2. There is no support for most of these due to the Chinese manufacturing.
3. Digital Surround Cameras on newer vehicles will not work with these.
4. Make sure it has the analog to fiber module or ability to tap directly into the OEM sound system. Because this has Bluetooth internally you may need to buy fiber jumpers to close the loop when you remove the oem BT module and CD Changer etc.

EDIT: I glanced at the rest of the pics and it does seem to have both the fiber audio module and a jumper included.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can you post picks of the OEM/factory controls with the new screen. Not cheap, but looks like the best unit available in years. The fit is amazing. Am concerned, like other past options many lose the factory screen options. I need to confirm compatibility with Datafoo's link for the later non-BMW version. 2006-2009.

Please keep us posted. I would only do this if it preserves the car options in the 06-09 cars

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Just FYI the unit's I've seen for the L405 and L494 retain all the factory controls except the digital cameras and a few small odd things like traction control graphics. But you get all sorts of extra stuff like "Left Door Open", "Right Door Open" and a few convenient things JLR didn't include in the factory units. All the Canbus stuff should be retained so wheel controls and things should work. The one item I am personally unclear of is if it mimics the traction control notifications on MY07-MY12 and I don't know on a MY10-MY12 if removing the factory unit impedes the digital cluster display. If it doesn't you'll still have all the traction control graphics and notifications there even if you lose them in the head unit. I also don't believe they have the ride height air suspension graphics but don't quote me on that. For me it was important they have MOST integration but you can buy a module for that and port any unit into the factory audio system. The MOST integration works for audio but you're clearly killing the factory BT and CD Changer if you have them.

Check the L405 and L494 forums, there is a guy selling units over there which he imports himself. Might be nice to deal directly with someone in case of issues or confusion. There are more users of these units on the newer vehicles I'm sure due to cost paid. When you're spending $75-100k on a newer vehicle you don't mind another $1k for enhanced features.

Please keep us posted. I would only do this if it preserves the car options in the 06-09 cars
For MY06-MY09 this should be a nice upgrade and retain full camera and audio functions. It is just a bit more tricky on the MY10-MY12.

Keep in mind like the OP' L322 a MY06 is a bear of an install and not for the faint of heart as you're removing the entire dash cover and end caps to get into the dash to swap units. The actual Radio and Nav modules software control the car features and not the IHU which these are replacing. the MY07-MY09 should be a bit easier but still a bit of work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts