RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to have my cylinder heads skimmed due to corrosion near the water channels. If this is just a few thou' will i need to re-shim the pushrod lifters?
Thx,
Nigel

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi. I believe you are asking if the rocker shaft support stands will require changes to their height to maintain adequate clearance in the valve train. As far as I know the original assembly would allow more than .020 clearance which is taken up by the hydraulic lifter when engine is running. So if you only remove .005 from the heads you should still have enough clearance. These limits should be noted in the engine assembly manual and I believe they are. The good thing is that this adjustment can be made after the heads have been properly assembled to the block. Hopefully you don't end up with manifold alignment problems. { see recent post on the issue] Were there any existing shims under the rocker shaft stands when you disassembled. Of note is a valve job will likely set the valve slightly deeper as well {assuming seats and valves reused} which would further reduce clearance. I think the safest will be to turn the engine thru each compression stroke [TDC for each piston] with rockers installed so that clearance of valve train can be checked. Let us know what you find.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts