RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all what a great forum!

I have a p38 4.6 hse 1998. 99,000 miles. I bought it several months ago as a project.
The head gaskets have been changed a few months ago before i bought it. (The guy is a friend and the gaskets were replaced) but im getting a misfire and a 2 soaked oily plugs (hence the misfire possibly)
I have no overheat problems, no leaks but shes drinking oil and leaving a trail of blue smoke behind her!

1/ I discovered a pack of unopened valve guides, which were in the glove box when i purchased the RR. Theses come with the HG kit as a set and have obviously not been fitted.

2/ Would this be a slipped liner causing the blue smoke or is it the old guides which have hardened and are letting oil dribble onto the plug tip?

I dont really want to pull off the heads again as its soul destroying as they were replaced recently.

You can change the valve seals by feeding thick cord into the plug hole and hand cranking the engine to hold the valve up which is what ill be looking at doing if i have to.

I can get another engine for £400 600$

Not sure on how to tackle it any wise ideas

Thanks !

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Re: Head gaskets changed after major overheat blue smoke probs?

Are the oily plugs on adjacent cylinders? I had the same problem on the 4.0SE that I bought recently and that was down to the head gasket having blown between the two. Do a compression test to check.

A major overheat can cause the threads in the block to be weakened due to the thermal expansion. Then when the head gaskets are replaced the bolts start to strip the threads so the head isn't held down evenly.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

I am guessing you mean valve seals, and not the guides?
They can be replaced with the heads on, but a GEMS is so easy to do a HG job on, I would just pull the heads. That way you can check the torque on the heads, inspect the head gaskets, and relap all the valves to get a good seal.
Do it right or dont bother in my book.

Martin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanksfor your help , ill pull the heads and let you know how i get on!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts