RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idid theRHS head on my 3.9 sems 6 months ago , but didnt do the LHs as all the compressions were in the 150 psi range . But last wekend it was overheating so limped home &took comp readings next day . Sure enough front 2 LHSshowed 0 psi so pulled the head off , a real ***** due to the brake ABS unit & needing tiny hands to get at back manifold bolts & head bolts . Must be first time off as it took a 1.5 m pipe on the long bar to undo & sure enough its blown between front 2 cylinders just like the other side did . My old 96 3.9 disco did the same they seem to have a habit for this at around the 200k km mark , often see them for sale with owners saying "blown head gasket " At least the parts are cheap & plentifull from after market suppliers .

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
it is rather foolish to replace only 1 hg when it takes less than 30 minutes to remove the other, now you have to redo 50% to replace the other side and throw away a new but compressed valley gasket.
best of luck.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You say that with hindsight LWB, cos the other side's blown. I did one head gasket - the side that was blown - the other / driver's side (which wasn't blown) would have involved getting round the steering column and all sorts - way more than 30 mins. I look forward to the time lapse video of you changing the driver's side head gasket in 30 mins, i'll forgive you for not skimming it, or changing the valve seals

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your not kidding its taken me 2 days to do the job , the back 2 under exhaust bolts you cant see & have to squeeze hand down between the pump & manifold ( mine has headers so even worse) & cant get socket& ratchet on as steering shaft & ABS pump is in the way & at the front the steering box is also in the way only a ring spanner & in very little increments . Couldnt get the back one threaded back in so I made a stud & nut instead . lots of bad language Even putting the head back on took several attemps as it displaced the gasketas cant place it straight dow due to the abs pump .The other side only took me day all up & Ihave left it as is only 6 months since didthat hg & comps were all excellent . Hopefully wont need doing for another 200 k km s Why they blow between cylinders is a mystery

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
Your not kidding its taken me 2 days to do the job , the back 2 under exhaust bolts you cant see & have to squeeze hand down between the pump & manifold ( mine has headers so even worse) & cant get socket& ratchet on as steering shaft & ABS pump is in the way & at the front the steering box is also in the way only a ring spanner & in very little increments . Couldnt get the back one threaded back in so I made a stud & nut instead . lots of bad language Even putting the head back on took several attemps as it displaced the gasketas cant place it straight dow due to the abs pump .The other side only took me day all up & Ihave left it as is only 6 months since didthat hg & comps were all excellent . Hopefully wont need doing for another 200 k km s Why they blow between cylinders is a mystery
dont know if your left or right hand drive, on rhd you pop inner wheel arch off, instant access to the back exhaust bolts, only way I do them, to much faffing around otherwise

1 - 5 of 5 Posts