Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a chirping sound from the engine: i. briefly at start up, ii. if revved quite hard when stationary, or iii. accelerating under load. It's quite high frequency, not terribly audible from the cabin, I can believe it's a high pressure squeal of compressed air/ gas leaving a confined space - but maybe that's just cognitive bias. Below 1.5k revs nothing out of the ordinary, idles fine. I removed the serpentine belt today to eliminate pulleys and belt, but the sound is still there. There's no noticeable coolant/ oil loss, although I can't say the coolant is as bright orange as when I put it in. From reviewing posts one distinct possibility is the head gasket...Any other options? Or I just need to set aside a weekend and "get it done"?
What does it do if I leave it, does the sound slowly gets worse until it really really needs doing? The general advice seems to be not to bother with any of the weld-type coolant additives and just replace the head gasket - or is there an additive that actually works? Is the definitive test a compression test by cylinder? I did have the head off my S3 2.25L petrol back in the day - I guess the will just be twice as difficult...

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
527 Posts
sounds a bit like a leaking manifold gasket , get a piece of hose and hold it to your ear wile putting the other end around the manifolds and exhaust , tape a piece of wire to the end so you can check up under the manifolds without burning your self . could also be coming them under the valley cover , that would most likely be the head gasket if its under the valley cover.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Some possible checks for head gasket:
1.With a cold engine, take the cap off the overflow reservoir. Start engine and look for air bubbling up in the overflow tank.
2. Compression test for each cylinder. Might not be conclusive if there is only a small leak as you will usually find some pressure difference between cylinders.
3. Wet spark plug.
4. Mist/fog coming out of the exhaust pipe after engine is fully warmed up. Might still happen if it is very cold outside so not definitive.

·
Super Moderator
3,349 Posts
Bubbles in the header tank, wet plugs and mist from the exhaust will only happen if the head gasket is blowing into a coolant passage. These only run at each end of the cylinder head so if the blow is from one of the middle cylinders you won't have any of these symptoms. It isn't unknown for a head gasket to blow out of the side of the joint so will either blow into the Vee, in which case the noise gets louder if you remove the oil filler cap, or out the side to the outside world when it will be much more noticeable if you are under the car. The noise, initially, will sound just like an exhaust manifold to head leak but will get progressively worse as more gasket is eroded and the gap gets bigger.

·
Registered
527 Posts
in reply to PM if you are going to remove the heads you start by removing the manifolds and the valley cover before removing the heads , so only half the effort and a 10th of the price. did you do the hose test???

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.... Mad, I haven't done the hose test yet - saving it up for the weekend...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts