RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,
Ive been losing water but no obvious signs as to where, thought about the head gasket but the top hose never over pressurised. my single point LPG system started to back fire, never had before, was going to change it to multi point anyway so booked it in for that. The engine started to get rough when starting from cold and occasionally when warm, whilst keeping an eye on the water level i noticed the expansion cap was hissing a little. swopped this out for a new one and drove to my mechanic, got there and top hose was rock solid. Head Gasket my man is saying and going to look at it tommorrow to fully diagnose. it wouldnt seem that a faulty expansion cap was letting just enough pressure off to stop the top hose getting hard.
just thought i'd share incase anyone else having similar.
fingers crossed the bill wont be huge.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
The caps do leak. The hoses need to be rock hard to show a head gasket issue. If you've been driving around for a long time with water loss issues, then it could be that the block has gone porous. How much coolant has it been losing?

·
Registered
56 Posts
hi, try removing the LPG vapouriser from the water system, just to count that out (i have heard that when the seal in the vapouriser goes, it can pressurise the water system), if not, any white smoke from the exhaust? Have a headgasket check done using the fluid,
I know someone in Witney with an engine, if you need one

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not been loosing much fluid at all and yes the top hose is rock solid. SHould have the final diagnosis tommorrow. luckiliy i can trust my mechanic and he grew up on P38's so he knows his stuff. fingers crossed it aint too expensive

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Havent checked the bottom hose, i'm hoping its not slipped liners or a porus block. Mechanic not got round to looking at it today, will be tommorrow now hopefully.
would a blocked radiator loose water? like i said there is no obvious leak i can see anywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Coolant wouldn't be lost there, but with the system not circulating properly, pressure could build and leak past any where, including the cap.

Typically, mystery coolant loss is an internal issue. I'd check for circulation problems first and make sure the radiator isn't causing the issue. Get the engine temperature up to operating temp and make sure the lower pipe is warm/hot. Then pressure test the system for leaks.

Not sure what state your car is in, but I've had a couple of shockers in recently, with the cooling system filled with K-Seal. Problem is that when an airlock occurs, the K-Seal kicks in. The most typical places to find the K-Seal gone hard is at the return pipe into the reservoir which is a very fine hole. Once this seals, it all goes south.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rich998a, many thanks for your input but would this account for the bad running, it does seem like it missing on a cylinder and a head gasket leak into a cylinder would make the plug damp and explain this wouldnt it? cant se how a blocked pipe would account for missfire and coolent loss?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Like I said early on, I expect it is a porous block or head gasket like you've already established.

What's the history on it? How many miles and how many engines? Is it well looked after? Do you run it on LPG more than 50% of the time?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its got 1770000 on the clock with what i think is the original engine. ive not had it long and it was working fine on the lpg for the first few weeks and then developed the backfire, about a week after that it started running rough on petrol. its been well look after as far as i can tell with good service history. run on lpg most of the time.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Well I think you need to accept that it is probably head gasket and may even be porous block. I think it's been a good innings really. Mine has done the same mileage and is about to get engine number 4.

What are you going to do? Repair it or bite the bullet and get a top hat linered exchange engine put in?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure really, i'll wait and see what my mechanic has to say and go from there. i'm not getting rid of it thats for sure as its in great nick other than this problem. Body/paint work is immaculate and inside it top notch. i ot it as a replacement for one that some numbnuts trashed when he pulled in front of me when i was doing 50mph. one head on smash later one wrecked p38!!!!! at least what i got from the insurance paid for this one. just need to get the problem fixed!!!!! many thanks for your input, i grew up your way and went to school in sh** and smellit if you know what i mean!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so the verdict is is
PORUS BLOCK!!!!!!!!!
so what to do?
well weve decided to try the ceramic engine sealer that are around and my mechanic has used it before with good results (years gone by with no return of problem) so i'll try that first and keep you informed.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Short term maybe, but long term top hat liners are the only way, so you'll need a replacement engine. Turner Engineering is the place to start.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should find out this week if the sealer has fixed the issue.

Has anyone used this stuff before ? and if so with what type of result?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well here's the result!!

Three yes Three!! tubs of ceramic sealer later and no more coolent loss and over pressuirised top hose!!

BIG YEAH!!!!

if it lasts a year it will be worth it anything past that will be a big bonus, just cant afford a big engine rebuild right now.

its been back for a lpg upgrade from single point to multi point, pulled the old unit off of the one someone wrote of when they went head to head with me!! will pick it up tommorrow, this mont hive had the delight of driving it for just one weekend!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts