RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!!

Been having cooling issues and found out last night that my head gasket is letting exhaust into my cooling syestem. So, looks like I will be tackling this job... Where is the best place to purchase the full head gasket kit? Or do I need the entire kit? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
489 Posts
Take the heads to a machine shop and have them tested and cleaned when you have them off. If any of the valve seals are leaking they can replace them.

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take the heads to a machine shop and have them tested and cleaned when you have them off. If any of the valve seals are leaking they can replace them.
Thank you!!
Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should probably do the kit with the head bolts right?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
527 Posts
Maybe you can find an engine, compare prices.
If you are rebuilding the engine you have to do it right. Chains, guides, gaskets, valve adjustment, water pump and suoercharger rebuild
Hard thing was valve adjustment
I did this and was the last time, next time I’ll just swap the engine and done.
You need special tools for timing, too much spare parts, time and money, good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not try a can of head gasket block seal?
I thought about that but I just replaced the radiator, the heater core, expansion tank, water pump and thermostat. because I think someone had tried that before me. At least that is what I am thinking now... there was this white chalkie stuff in th ecoolign system that clogged up the heater core, I just dont want all that new coolign system to get ruined by adding that stuff in there. I would rather not do the head gaskets eather though:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe you can find an engine, compare prices.
If you are rebuilding the engine you have to do it right. Chains, guides, gaskets, valve adjustment, water pump and suoercharger rebuild
Hard thing was valve adjustment
I did this and was the last time, next time I’ll just swap the engine and done.
You need special tools for timing, too much spare parts, time and money, good luck
I am not rebuilding the engine, it actually runs really good and strong. It is jut the head gasket letting in eshauxt fumes/pressure into the coolign system causing my issues.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
527 Posts
I am not rebuilding the engine, it actually runs really good and strong. It is jut the head gasket letting in eshauxt fumes/pressure into the coolign system causing my issues.
Your decision is your decision. You have to think about mileage and the process. You can easily replace timing components and rebuild supercharger while you were there.
It is like gambling. And how many years you are ready to keep this vehicle?
I am not saying do this do that. I saw similar situations owner paid 2 times labor and parts to reach timing chain.

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you are doing the labor yourself, I would do the rebuild as engine removal is either a body off job or major component removal to extract out the front. A used engine could be ready to implode where-as you just rebuilt the one you got and it should be strong. For piece of mind do the timing components also.

Timing tool: https://www.amazon.com/8milelake-Engine-Timing-Jaguar-Rover/dp/B017X8Z8ZS

After you are done I'm sure you could sell the tools onto another user. Head bolts are TTY (Torque to yeild) so should be replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts