Range Rovers Forum banner

Head gasket leaking, again...

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  brian4d 
#1 ·
We'll 16K ago I had all my top end gaskets replaced by a very reputable indy shop here in my home town. New HG bolts, heads were skimmed and all. Now I have an external coolant leak coming from the front passenger side head water jacket area. I'm not ready for another 2K head job at this point and I've read that you P38 guys have had some success with the new Bars head gasket fix. I'm thinking I could add 1/4 bottle to try to seal it up. What are your guys thoughts on this? Any experience with these block sealers? Any feedback would be very helpful at this point. Even though I'm in a Disco we've got the same engine and we experience a lot of the same issues. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I used the Bars Radiator Stop Leak and it stopped my leak. I had a small leak near the front of bank 2 that I was having difficulty figuring out where it was coming from. Eventually I will do the head gaskets, but I wanted to wait until it is sunny and warm. It worked for me and stopped the leak. I used the 'Heavy Duty Stop Leak' not the head gasket repair. The head gasket repair requires draining the system of all coolant, filling with water and then using the product. It forms a silicate seal. There are some folks who have used it and it has lasted 15K+ miles.

I figure, if we eventually have to get a head gasket repair done, might as well try it. I do feel weird throwing in a $5 repair on a $70k vehicle, but hey the basic engine design was from the 60s. and it worked! no leaks so far so I will hold off on the head gasket repair.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.