RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post, so my head gasket seemed to be blown, white smoke, bubbles in reservoir, coolant loss. So i opened up both the heads and everything else. There doesn't seem to be any physical damage on the gaskets, they seem normal, like do they blow in their functionality? Also is resurfacing the heads very important or i can just clean them and put them back with new gasket? also can anyone help me with a thread for setting the timing.
Thank you

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
206 Posts
Was your oil milky? I could be wrong but unless you overheated the engine then the heads should be ok. I know here in Dallas you can have them both machined for around 100.00 so it couldn't hurt but I think you're ok if you don't. The two big things are gaskets and the bolts. The bolts can't be reused and I can't stress that enough.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
A few thoughts. First as to whether the heads need to be resurfaced. You need to get a straight edge out and measure the flatness.

Related - in the sticky section you should find the link for the engine specs and timing procedure. If it is not there, search the forum and you will find the 2006. Also check out some Jag forums - they have more activity on the engine.

Back to the head, if you are buying the head gasket set, it should come with valve stem seals - I would urge you to replace them and lap your valves. That way you have a fresh top end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil cap had milky gunk and the engine did over heat. had to change the coolant pipe but kept driving without coolant(4-5 kms daily) for about a week.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
206 Posts
old wives tale... a blown head gasket does NOT cause milky oil.
I never knew this. I've purchased two Discos in the past, both with blown head gaskets and both had milky oil. I thought the coolant got in it and caused it and also caused the Disco to smoke because of the burning coolant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts