RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to do the head gasket, can anyone provide a recommendation for a great set of gaskets? Anything else I should do while I'm in there for preventative care? Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used the Atlantic British Kit, which has the composite Elring head gaskets (good stuff!)

Also, don't forget to get new head bolts. I opted to upgrade to ARP studs, following the recomendation of many forum members. They are pricy, but worth it.

N.

·
Registered
206 Posts
AB doesn't sell ARP head studs. Those you listed are regular head bolts. They can only be used once. ARP cost more, but can be reutilised, and are better for the block (less stress).

This is the best price I found when I had to buy almost a month ago

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/product. ... 279&CtgID=

ARP head stud kit for Buick 215/Rover V8 (124-4003)

N.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, finally got it back today from the mech. however, the valve cover gasket is leaking. when i took it back he stated that he didnt have the 8.5 12point socket to tighten it so he used pliers. it looks pretty snug, but its definitely leaking from the back side of the passenger side cover. will the leak settle on its own? what do i do? also, the question of, were my head stud/bolts tighten properly, if he didn't have the tool for the valve cover bolts, would he have the right tools for the head? can you guys tell me what type of bolt is used for the head? feeling a migraine coming on, now on my way to the parts shop to buy more oil, and recommendations for oil, its about to be summer in oregon, should i use 10w30,5w30, etc....

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Tell your mechanic to fix it right and use the money you just gave him to buy a **** socket. If not then file a claim on your credit card (assuming you paid with one) and the BBB.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have not had to dismantle my engine yet. But looking at it, could those spline bolts not be replaced by something more conventional, like a hex head bolt?
Or perhaps a cap screw. I am sure the threads below are nothing special.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
bonnychoo said:
I have not had to dismantle my engine yet. But looking at it, could those spline bolts not be replaced by something more conventional, like a hex head bolt?
Or perhaps a cap screw. I am sure the threads below are nothing special.
yes, you can replace it, and yes, the mechanic should go out and buy the right socket, and no the leak won't settle down on it's own, it's a rover........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts