RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm about to embark on doing the head gaskets on my 1992 LSE, I've got a set of the later 10 bolt heads and am going to use the composite gaskets. I was going to use the stretch bolts but don't know what to do regarding the bolt that has a threaded portion for the alternator bracket.......

Apologies but I've tried searching but not very successfully!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
134 Posts
When I did my HG I used the ARP studs, which also don't have a provision for mounting the alternator. What I did was just take an angle grinder and cut off that part of the mounting bracket. I haven't had any issues without it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did the same job last October. There's an integral nut on the alternator bracket head bolt, but it has to be torqued to 66 lbs. in 3 progressions (like the rest of the head bolts, link below)

If you haven't found it in your research yet, the composite gaskets have 10 holes instead of 14 - just ignore the 4 extra holes, Land Rover determined they were overkill at some point in the early 90's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, so just to check you used stretch bolts in all locations except no10 for the alternator mounting bracket and haven’t had any issues?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The alternator bracket bolt is a stretch bolt and has to be replaced with the rest of the head bolts. Its torque spec. is just lower, so I'm guessing that it might be a different metal
I've driven 1000 miles with the new heads + bolts, everything's still good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts