RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, first off great page love it found it very useful.

So I have a v6 Diesel Range Rover Sport 2007 and tonight when I was driving home I stopped and I heard like this flicking noise like the fan belt had frayed so opened the bonnet and checked it and it looked ok other than the tension arm vibrating a bit, anyway started driving again and was going up a slight hill and then I heard a bang like a belt flew off and thought to myself there goes the fan belt but the car cut out I got a transmission fault come up and then a HDC fault come up as well and the suspension began to lower, at this point the engine is not going and I managed to roll the car into a shopping center car park, I can't get the faults to come back up and the car wont start seems like it is winding over to easy.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be I am thinking the transmission has let go but seems to go into nuturel and park or at worst the timing belt has failed but I really hope not.

Any help appreciated the car is sitting there guess I will get it towed home tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK I have a bad feeling that the timing belt may have let go. spoke with a range rover shop and he was telling me that best to get a new motor if this is the case.

What do you guys recommend I do if the timing belt has let go cause the valves are going to be bent for sure.

Was quoted 10 to 15K for a new motor and have it fitted does this sound right.

Any advise appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11 Posts
Check to see if the belt is off the pulley. Any mechanic can simply put a new belt on. A belt coming off wouldn't damage an engine to the point where you have to replace it. The bang you heard was probably the belt getting disintegrating cause of the forces its being applied when running the pulleys. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the reply, I believe once the belt comes off the pistons hit the vales and bend them so it will be heads off valves fixed and then back on, I agree a new motor is a bit drastic. He was saying to get the motor out you need to pull the cab off the chassis but surely this is not the case.Maybe someone on here can verify this for me.I will pull the cover off next weekend and check the belt and post back with the findings.I think British Atlantic has all the parts I would need and some white papers on how to do it all think its a step by step guide I think.I have mechanical knowledge so I think I will tackle this myself cause I cannot justify 10 to 15k to replace the motor. Mechanic said he would usually buy them for 2500 to 3000 once the belt lets go, I think he is looking for a cheap range rover sport. but thanks for posting on the thread appreciate the input.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
Try re timing and putting a new belt on it (assuming thats what failed) and at least start it to confirm it took out a valve. There is always a chance it did not damage the valves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah my plan is to check that it was the belt and slap one on and fire it up see if it runs ok, if it does then happy days, if not then I will pull the heads.Guys thanks for your input its really appreciated I would like to know if the chassis has to be split from the cab to put in a new motor or if it is just a myth, if someone can confirm that for me that would be awesome.Cheers I will post back and keep you all posted on the progress.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
The proper way is indeed to raise the body. It is exceedingly simple as it is designed for it. You can find photos of one undergoing an engine swap posted by Ron/P38aRover.

There is one person that did the standard way but space was exceedingly limited.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts