RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had recent cold weather and I mean really cold, several days with temperatures around 0 degree F.

When I start the vehicle, the hazard light come on immediately. Pressing the button cancels the hazards.
The overhead light stays on for some reason. Pressing the button cancels.
The dash manual lock button will not operate the door locks.
If I shut down the vehicle and press the lock button on the key fob, nothing locks.
Although when I open the door, the alarm triggers.
Presing the unlock button on the key fob cancels the alarm, nothing unlocks though.
Starting the vehicle everything is normal. No hazards and manual door lock button works.

A search on the above symptoms shows one post with similar problems but no solution posted.
How can brainstorm this with me?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
Check the tailgate. I get this when it's not locked correctly.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
If it were your P38 I'd vote for BeCM issues or failing battery. Given the cold weather I'd lean towards a weak battery.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Malafax_dand said:
We have had recent cold weather and I mean really cold, several days with temperatures around 0 degree F.

When I start the vehicle, the hazard light come on immediately. Pressing the button cancels the hazards.
The overhead light stays on for some reason. Pressing the button cancels.
The dash manual lock button will not operate the door locks.
If I shut down the vehicle and press the lock button on the key fob, nothing locks.
Although when I open the door, the alarm triggers.
Presing the unlock button on the key fob cancels the alarm, nothing unlocks though.
Starting the vehicle everything is normal. No hazards and manual door lock button works.

A search on the above symptoms shows one post with similar problems but no solution posted.
How can brainstorm this with me?

Is the interior damp at all? As per the P38 all the electrics don't like any moisture in the air, do you leave the A/C on?

Dan

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the rear tailgate option. Although would the tailgate open warning not show up on the dash as an alert message?

The vehicle is dry. Although we have snow right now, there is almost no mositure in the air. Any water in the vehicle would freeze overnight. And due to the extremely consistent presentation of the symptoms, I am thinking that the BECM is behaving normally. If there was a short or a water situation, I would expect the behavior to be limited to one subsystem and or be somewhat random.

The symptoms that I described have happened three time with exactly the same presentation every time. To me, it seems like a normal pathway triggered by a faulty sensor somewhere or a module that is not starting up.

My first impression was that a vehicle module was not starting up properly or that the CAN bus initialization was failing. I am going to go out and brave the cold and see if I have any logged fault codes on the instrument pack.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have the exact symptoms and it took me a while to connect the tailgate to the hazards and ceiling lamps, but that's the reason in my case. I also can't lock the car neither by button nor remote until I slam the tailgate once again and all works fine! I suppose some contact in the tailgate lock(s) could be ill adjusted or is used but just try to reclose the boot first. I also found that spraying WD-40 helps too...

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is a message in the dashboard only if the tailgate is really open, not if it only appears to be closed, but some sensor thinks it isn’t. I’m pretty sure the hazard/ceiling lights thing is a sort of reminder...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Anyone else have this issue before?

I have experienced this exactly, 3 or 4 times. I'm sure it happened before, then it happened a month ago when my son sat in the vehicle as I pumped gas, then it happened today when I pumped gas with people in the vehicle.

At first, I thought it happened when I locked the vehicle with occupants inside, but today I'm pretty sure I did not lock it as I walked away.

When I start the vehicle, 4way hazard lights are on and interior lights are on. I turn off interior lights and 4ways but I can't lock the vehicle from the console locking button, and they don't auto lock as I drive away.

I'm thinking my tail gate may need to be adjusted as I did experience some water ingress through it recently.

Has this come up before for anyone since the original poster?

Had to search a bit to find this.

2006 Range Rover SC.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,952 Posts
are you leaving the key on without the engine running? If so then you need to turn the key off if the engine is off the battery will quickly deplete,
and if the battery is old then its probably time for a new one

·
Registered
631 Posts
Battery isn't old, and is good. Never get the typical "Christmas tree" of faults typical of a bad battery. Had that before.

No I take the key out with me and pump gas and when I come back the hazards are on and the interior lights and can't lock the doors.

Again, only happened twice this year, and both times when I leave people in the vehicle while I pump gas.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts