RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just bought the P38 after several years of Discovery's! Was aware of possible problems on elecs so bought the Hawkeye. Just trying to set it up. Have found OBD socket but can't get plug to attach.....is there a cover over the socket as at 6' 2" tall I can'y get right under to see....and its pouring down with rain again :roll: If there is acover how does it come off its just I don't want to break anything or force the plug and damage the pins!

Regards
John aka Loyalduke

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hiya John

Welcome to the board

The P38 does not have any cover over the diagnostic socket. Can you feel the socket, if so there is only one of two ways the plug can fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I can get it to marry up but without brute force It doesn't seem to want to accept the plug :think: Just being careful as I don't want to beak the pins or the socket. To confirm I have the correct plug its supposed to be J1962 (BA5071) CABLE ...it has 6 pins top row and 8 pins bottom row. As I can't see the socket I am not sure whther they match.
Just tried again and even brute force doesn't seem to work. Begining to think it might be the wrong cable they've sent :doh:

John

·
Registered
520 Posts
Errm, should be 8 pins top and 8 pins bottom John. But i am sure thats just a mis count. You should not have to force it at all.
Sadly i cannot confirm the PN until the morning with mine, but it sounds right and i do have extensive experience of these connectors. LR use nothing similar to OBDII by any means.

Can you use a mirror and light etc to confirm all is ok in the socket, at worst you could release the panel that holds it and it from the panel to get a better look.
It is not unheard of for dire corrosion to set in caused by a windscreen leak allowing water to leak down to the connector. But even then that typically just causes bad connectivity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks .....it arrived with the chrome clip had bent over covering the 2 middle pins :doh: After you had said it should be 8 and 8 I eased it out of the way and behold 2 more pins and now it fits :clap: :clap: :clap:

But hold on now the security cde they gave me is invalid so I will have to wait until tomorrow to see if I can get it to work :think: Have to say they could also do with sending some guide to faault codes and basic instructions.....not best value for money IMHO :naughty:

Maybe once its up and running I'll change my mind.
Thanks again for the help :D

John

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hiya John,

Just checking in to give / confirm the part number, but i see you figured your problem out after i went to bed, glad to be of help :thumb:

I asked another owner on here what help was provided with his HE system and he referenced only the fault code text itself, I was really expecting him to have a book or CD or at least something :doh:

Perhaps you can help by sharing what you know or have been told.
I am actually in the process of trying to fathom out how the thing can be retro upgraded in the field, with just the one connector for the OBDII lead(s) on the unit, through which it gets its 12V to power it and no other external connector at all, i just can't see how it could be connected to a PC. There is a half dozen optional cost leads / adapters listed for it but these are all to use it on different vehicle systems, there is no PC connection lead / adapter, and if there were, getting the 12 V in to power the unit would be tricky requiring i suspect an additional mains type power supply.

Even more interestingly, upon taking the back cover off, (well there ain't no warranty seals,) there is a large pin head connector standing out on the PCB that is fairly obviously used to program the Unit during manufacture, which leads me to suspect it is not even possible to update the unit via its single OBDII connector socket. And this internal pin head plug is not something customers should be accessing which means it rather looks like the unit must be returned to the manufacturer for re programming.

Oh well, do let us know how you get on anyway chap

Regards

Colin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts