RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not happyabout it but the title is true. With an impending winter coming and soft EAS faults after rebuilding my valve block, 4 new air springs, new front ride height sensors, new compressor I still get EAs faults which have left me on the bump stops. My Terrafirma medium duty kit coils and new shocks arrived today. Tommorow is the install. I’ll report on how it goes and the ride quality.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Black arm bands are coming out..
personally id rather keep a kicker in the glove box till the problem was sorted.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
My P38 is on the medium duty British Atlantic coils with factory shocks. It rides nice and has about the same body roll as my previous P38s still on air. I love the P38 on air but being married to only one or two vendors for support and it’s cost of repair has me glad my current truck is on coils. I’m planning on moving to the Terrafirma heavy duty suspension in the spring when we buy a new travel trailer. Be nice to gain a little ground clearance (2in lift) and have less suspension sag. I’m sure it will effect ride though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Good luck Crow. I'm on coils and have no problem with it, especially when I'm on a trip and have one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the input. It took me 8 hours in the driveway with lots of crawling around I did use a air gun impact wrench and spring compressors to aid me and read several walk through son how to do it. I prepped the springs the night before to save time which I’m glad I did. My 46 year old back and knees feel pretty beat up today. Lol. Now that my truck is a DD I just didn’t have time to trouble shoot the EAS anymore. We went out to dinner and my wife loves the ride and the confidence coils bring. She said it makes me hate Rover a little less.... lol that is huge in my book
So I’ll give it a week or so to settle in but the ride seems ok. Less marshmellowy my wife says. I like it so far. Terrafirma has very nice aluminum blocks and the shocks are a huge improvement over stock. I’ll update with pictures from my laptop.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to the spring club, its really not that bad here. Although I loved the range on air, I need to rely on it now as I sold my diesel and it is truly just one less thing to go wrong.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a question for those who have replaced their shocks. It seems on the lower shock attachment point the metal cups on top and underneath were welded in place
i left off the new cups that came with my Terrafirma ones and had to reuse the very bottom bushing from the old shocks as they were squished enough for me to get the new nut on the lower shock bolt. Is this normal? I am referring to the front shocks by the way. I tapped on the old metal cup pretty good but they didn’t budge. Is this correct?
02 NAS Petrol LHD as a refresher.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,220 Posts
Out of interest, did you check the connectors in the LHF footwell behind the kick panel trim?

The connections from the EAS rocker and inhibit switches on the dash go through there on the way to the EAS ECU.... those connectors are known to go green and corrode, and I've heard of random EAS faults being caused by a bad connection there.

Even if you've gone to springs, it's worth checking them, as there are plenty of other wires that go through those connectors too for other things.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marty,
Thanks much. I will check those connections for sure. I’m away to Melbourne AU for work but I’m flying back to America today. I’ve been thinking a lot about the P38 and I think I have another year of ownership in her before I upgrade. I hope to find a restoring type person with passion for the P38 to pass her on to.. looking towards an L322 2012.... but I’ll make sure those connections are clean and corrosion free.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If the connections are green, be careful, i cant remember the left side connector block, i know on the right when i had the same problem as i touched the block the wires just broke off, lots of wires the same colour, great fun !

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Copy Chris,
ill photograph it first before I touch it. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts