RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found this topic in the p-38 forum, but I am not sure how it relates.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29289&p=225315&hilit=rear+hatch+release#p225315

During my stay in Tahoe a week ago the release (not sure if that's the proper term) button to open the main rear hatch, including glass, froze. I could not press the button with normal pressure or even with extra pressure. Fear of breakage kept me from forcing the issue, so i dealt with it for the time being. This occurred after a snowfall with temps ranging from 10-20* F possibly lower. After the temps increased to above 30* F I was able to press the button again.

Is this a common occurrence with this system or does it need to be cleaned and lubed (since this was the first and only incident since I have owned the vehicle)?

I read about programming the remote to control this function, seems like a good back up.

I am only in this type of weather a couple times a year, so it is not a huge issue at the moment, but I would prefer it did not happen again.

Any advice regarding this?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
47 Posts
This happened to me tonight. Temp is 19F and all of a sudden the **** button to open the main rear hatch won't work. Upper glass opens fine but I can't get the lower main rear hatch door to open; either with the button or the key fob that is programmed to open it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same issue here. All other doors and hinges work perfectly, but that button just won't budge whenever temps drop below 20-ish F. Never spent too much time messing with it since I usually can't feel my fingers when it happens.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
808 Posts
The tolerance between the button and the button bezel is small. Spray WD40 in and around it when it thaws; that will chase the water and provide lubricant.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me last Christmas.

Solution, on your center console push and hold both the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously, this releases the rear gate mechanism allowing you to gain access to the trunk.

And yes the issue is exactly what IMMensaMind says. Your car gets covered with snow, snow melts, button gets wet and then refrozen if you leave the car outside or drive around in 19 degree weather.

Rafa

·
Registered
521 Posts
Holy crap, Rafa. Thanks for that info! I never knew that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
rafa said:
Solution, on your center console push and hold both the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously, this releases the rear gate mechanism allowing you to gain access to the trunk.
Not wanting to appear too awfully stupid here but.......... I've yet to find a rear hatch release button anywhere inside the car. Are you referring to the main door lock and unlock buttons?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Shawnna said:
rafa said:
Not wanting to appear too awfully stupid here but.......... I've yet to find a rear hatch release button anywhere inside the car. Are you referring to the main door lock and unlock buttons?
LOL - never mind. I found the owner's manual reference (pg 37 in my 2006 RRS manual). It is the door lock/unlock buttons.

And THANK YOU ALL once again for your patience with all of my noob questions. :dance:

·
Registered
670 Posts
No Problem; I rarely use it since I became convinced that using it was messing with the programing on my key fob.
It seems that every time I would do it the 3rd button in my fob would get deprogrammed. I of course have no foundation whatsoever to make that claim, so as I said "I became convinced".

Once, I also "became convinced" that there was a bear in our front lawn in the middle of the night, even though we live in a urban area.
Woke the entire family, summoned all the kings horses and all the kings men only to find out that it was a weird shadow play caused by a street light and a full moon upon our hedge. Cops and animal control thought I was a jackass and I lost all cred with wife and kids ever since.

·
Registered
521 Posts
rafa said:
No Problem; I rarely use it since I became convinced that using it was messing with the programing on my key fob.
It seems that every time I would do it the 3rd button in my fob would get deprogrammed. I of course have no foundation whatsoever to make that claim, so as I said "I became convinced".

Once, I also "became convinced" that there was a bear in our front lawn in the middle of the night, even though we live in a urban area.
Woke the entire family, summoned all the kings horses and all the kings men only to find out that it was a weird shadow play caused by a street light and a full moon upon our hedge. Cops and animal control thought I was a jackass and I lost all cred with wife and kids ever since.

LOL!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
rafa said:

OMG... that's hilarious!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok - need just a little more guidance here.

Today - after warming up a bit - the exterior button on the rear hatch pushed in ok BUT won't allow the lower rear hatch door to be opened. It's like nothing happens when I push it in all the way.

However, the dash buttons work the rear hatch just fine.

Do I need to replace the mechanism for that rear exterior button or just take it apart and clean it or something? If I need to replace it, where can I get one?

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance with this!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Shawna;

Wait for all to thaw before replacing anything (Spring time). In reality the "push both lock and unlock buttons" trick is meant as an emergency procedure therefore, what it really does is disengage the entire mechanism instead of just retracting the locking claw that the hatch's exterior button activates.

However I've had a similar thing happen, I solved it by locking and unlocking a few times all the doors in the car from the center console or fob. This should reactivate the rear button.

Hope this helps.

Rafa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts