RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for all you junk yard scavengers out there;

I managed to find and scavenge a good conditioned drivers side door latch. Its really hard to find a wrecked P38 that has not already had that part pilfered. :crybaby2: I brought it home, and read through the repair operations details on the main page. I then proceeded to pull my door apart and remove the latch only to find that the connectors are not the same style. Unfortunately there is nothing mentioned in the details about different styles.....After searching the forum and reading through some old posts, its now apparent that the different connector styles coincide with Gems (which I have), and Bosch.

My question is, has anyone been able to successfully modify/wire match and splice to make these interchangeable? :pray: I figure that if the only thing that is different is the connector plugs, then its do-able.
Thanks for any advice guys :D

Dan

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Here's the deal, there were several changes made through out the years most changes are done mid year, go figure..
To tell you the part number you need, I need your vin number ! I may have the part number you need and i'll trade you for whatever you have..

Scotty

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks Scotty! A very kind offer indeed! :thumb: I appreciate that, even if it doesnt work out and you dont have what I need.
Here is my VIN: SALPV1442VA354759
Thanks,

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Hi Dan, I think this is the same problem i had on mine, both front door locks went and i had to replace with an updated part which came with a connector/plug that didn't seem to exist, however if i recall correctly it is a single black wire which is a ground, I spliced into it with no problems and both sides worked fine, perhaps this helps

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Ok your part number is ASR2463 that part number covers mid 1997 to mid 1998 Vin numbers VA351308 to (v) WA403803
now i'll look at rave and see what the connector ends look like and see if I can help you. The two I have in stock no longer have the tags on them so I don't know what year they are.. I think they are both 1997 my. Do you know what year Rangi you took it off of?

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Ok it appears that the choice is a round connector or a square connector. Which one did you get..
The wire colors are also different..
Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scotty said:
Hey I just found this link it will show you both types of connectors and explain the faults..

http://www.p38rangerover.com/central-lo ... uator.html

I have the early style in stock..

Scotty
Music to my ears Scotty, that is the one I am in need of. :clap: I actually pulled 3 of the four latches from the wrecked car for possible future use. Looks like I wont be needing those afterall :roll: I will either buy it from you or maybe just trade you my 3 for your 1 if you like. Ill shoot you a PM.

Dan

LarryS said:
Hi Dan, I think this is the same problem i had on mine, both front door locks went and i had to replace with an updated part which came with a connector/plug that didn't seem to exist, however if i recall correctly it is a single black wire which is a ground, I spliced into it with no problems and both sides worked fine, perhaps this helps
Thanks for the reply Larry. Im glad you did, because I figured it would work but didnt have any proof. Thanks much!

Dan

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scotty,
I tried to send you a PM but I dont know if it actually sent. Please let me konw if you got it.
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
483 Posts
Its usually the motor that has burn out; it is quite easy to take them apart and just switch the motor over. If you have any of those latches keep the motors as there is usually somebody after one.

I don't suppose the car you got it from has an ABS pump with a pressure switch on it? I really need that switch!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
waveydavey said:
Its usually the motor that has burn out; it is quite easy to take them apart and just switch the motor over. If you have any of those latches keep the motors as there is usually somebody after one.

I don't suppose the car you got it from has an ABS pump with a pressure switch on it? I really need that switch!
That particular car suffered an engine bay fire, so it didnt have anything useful under the hood. But, I am a frequent Junk yard lurker so I will keep my eyes peeled for one.
After speaking with Scotty on the phone though, it sounds like he has quite a few bits of good used parts if you need one sooner. :think:

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts