RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about replacing the stock shifter paddles in my ordered V8 SC with the OEM red anodized shifter paddles. Has anyone on here done that and have any idea how long it takes to do that replacement?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Haven't replaced mine, but was looking into them when I got my '14. If memory serves, it should be just a few screws on the back of the steering wheel holding them in place. Nothing to it.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm thinking about replacing the stock shifter paddles in my ordered V8 SC with the OEM red anodized shifter paddles. Has anyone on here done that and have any idea how long it takes to do that replacement?
I replaced mine with the ones offered by Velocity AP. Then had them powder coated to my choice of color. Good quality and less expensive than OEM. They are a bit larger than OEM.

To actually replace the paddle shifter is about a 15 min job. One screw and a plug for each paddle.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Takes no time. One screw and a clip. I can’t remember if it’s a hex or Allen screw though.

What I did was parked the car and turned the wheel a quarter turn so that one paddle was up. Much easier to fix that way.

Then when I parked again I did it the other way.

Went with the red paddles, looks so nice with the pimento leather!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is good news... means I can do it myself instead of paying the dealership to do it. And yes, I am excited about the red paddles. My interior is ebony and eclipse... I think the red paddles are going to make a nice touch.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yes, definitely do it yourself no question. Also one more tip - before you take the paddles out, study how they sit because you will want to make sure you align them correctly in the same fashion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Any pointers on where to buy nice aftermarket paddles?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
I haven't done it on my RRS but I replaced the plastic paddles on my Jag XKR with OEM silver metal ones (If I recall right, LR had both silver and red ones as upgrades, but for whatever reason Jag only offered the red ones as a Jag part, but they are otherwise identical to the LR parts and I preferred the silver to the red).
It was a 5 minute job, dead easy. I seemed to remember it required a #9 or maybe a #10 torx (just one torx screw per paddle).
The OEM paddles are very overpriced though, for what really is just a couple of simple metal levers over cheap micoswitches.
Feeling metal shifters under your hands is much nicer though. It made the Jag feel even more reminiscent of Astons I've driven, which is what I was going for. The OEM metal paddles have a shorter motion but a more affirmative click than the plastic ones.
Given how much such a small thing improves the driving feel, it boggles my mind why Jag/LR ever went with plastic shifters.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree with the cost savings, but I find the velocity paddle shifters to be a little too tall. I thought the OEM paddles looked much nicer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Velocity AP if you just looking for the paddles. Check the vendor section of the forum.
nope, nothing there. Also can't find them on their website...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks, but as someone else said, they are just too big and look a bit tacky because if this.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like them. A bit aggressive and large but the feel of metal is awesome

Easy to install. Thinking about having them powder coated red actually.

Although the silver accents the other bits of trim nicely.
I'm assuming your steering wheel had paddle shifters before you installed this, no? Mine didn't come with it, and I'm looking to possibly getting a pair of shifters installed if that's possible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts