RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! how do you open up the steering column? Is that just removing the panel beneath the steering wheel? I know that is pretty easy.

Is the "unplug" or re-plug hard? Any trick to it?

Where would you order the part from?

Thanks I right now I need to head home before the sun goes down, lol. Love my Rover.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,686 Posts
Part of owning a Range Rover is to become familiar with it's upkeep and using the tools at your finger tips. I would suggest getting to know the search function here and on your browser. For instance in the home pages you will find lists of part sources and most likely even references for head light switches.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
thanks! how do you open up the steering column? Is that just removing the panel beneath the steering wheel? I know that is pretty easy.

Thanks I right now I need to head home before the sun goes down, lol. Love my Rover.
Here you go mate. I'd download RAVE as soon as you can. Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 10.08.18 PM.jpg

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tHanks crazy guy!

I got the rave.

For folks that have done it. is it pretty simple to do? Any tricks?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Its 5 or six phillips head screws. Takes all of 5 minutes to carefully remove it. 2 if you use an drill on low speed. then just pull it apart. The switch just presses out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The switch came out last night. No clue how. I never forced it.

This morning the truck would not start. Strange beep is all I got.

Crud

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd recommend unscrewing the plastic that surrounds the steering column and seeing what else could've come apart. just look for any plastic connectors that could've come undone

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you resolve the issue? If not, could you tell what made the beep? If you have the original stereo, it might have been the anti-theft/cleared-code beep, though that's usually a few beeps. When the switch came out, you may have drained the battery with a short or power loss of some sort, and need to recharge the battery in addition to replacing & checking the switch and connections in the steering column.

My headlamp switch fell apart in my hand one day. Luckily, I fiddled with it enough to turn off the lights before it completely came undone. It was an easy replacement, as said above.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi thanks guys.

I've never worked on cars before. I was thinking of having it towed the mechanic to replace the switch.

Should I recharge the battery and drive it in myself or could that cause more damage?

Better to just get it towed, I think. The head light switch is only like $30 bucks I think.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,686 Posts
Oscar. If you are going to own an old Rover you need a very well padded wallet or be willing to take on at least simple projects yourself.

You have absolutely everything to gain and nothing to lose by taking this on yourself. Opening up the steering column is only a handful of screws. You will quickly see how the switch mounts and be able to see all of the wiring plugs. Taking your time you can easily check the wiring plugs for firm connection and cleanliness. You can also inspect for pinched wires where the headlight switch came out. I would vote for a wire or contact shorting out and blowing a fuse/maxifuse/fuseable link. This would happen when the headlight switch came loose and a contact or frayed wire striking ground. Replace the switch, verify no bare wires, replace the fuse/fuseable link... all done.

If you don;t find it then you can deal with towing and shop labour. If you do find the issue you will have a a great sense of accomplishment and might not be so skittish to take on the basics of Classic ownership. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
^^x2 what Toad said...Also, if you do take it to your mechanic, there's no need to tow, unless you're doing it in the dark.

I forget who it is that has this in their sig line, but it is so true of older LRs, "Land Rover - making mechanics of owners since 1948".

As Toad mentioned, the sense of accomplishment that comes with working an your own Rover is hard to beat.;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi thanks guys.

I've never worked on cars before. I was thinking of having it towed the mechanic to replace the switch.

Should I recharge the battery and drive it in myself or could that cause more damage?

Better to just get it towed, I think. The head light switch is only like $30 bucks I think.
Dude. !!

Time to learn. you'll start off with simple simple things like changing a switch.. then you'll progress on to oil changes, brake pad changes and before you know it, you'll be replacing alternators and pulling head gaskets without a thought.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a simple step.

They really are not difficult to work on. Burning of sage, praying to the god of Lucas and tapping your head three times and spinning anti-clockwise before you start is purely optional.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
All hail the Prince of Darkness!!

And make sure you have a spare jar of smoke in case it leaks out of the wiring.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HI All,
Many thanks for the advice.
I took into the mechanic I just don't have the energy / time to work on it myself right now.
I understand where you guys are coming from and respect that. Your advice has helped make sure I don't get ripped off by the mechanic. I hope in the future you don't hold it against me. Who knows, next time I may have more time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts