RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello,

Well, Sue installed the KAM diffs but I don´t know if they change the gear ratio. Go to my photo album in facebook, you have range pictures there with KAMs installed.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
If you're going to jump from 3.54's up to 4.10's... what size tires are you planning? 33's? 35's? I'm excited!

Hell, you may as well throw some arb's in there while you have em apart.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the 32's and will be upping to 33's (or bigger if I get another truck to drive while I try to engineer a solution) when these wear out (maybe next year?), so I am just removing any bottlenecks to that path. I would like to throw an ARB in there, but I found it pretty difficult to get stuck with my 4-wheel traction on all the trails I did last year, so it seems like a luxury item to me (like a winch).

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I would highly recommend the ARB's. Once you have wheeled with selectable lockers, you will wonder how you managed without them. Same as using a grinder when making stuff, it works but when you buy a good plasma cutter you wonder why you didnt buy one years earlier!
As far as the diffs go, I went hunting for the transfer case gears for the BW transfer case like you can get for the LT transfer cases. It changes the high ratio to gear it down for on road driving instead of a regear. The transfer case would be a LOT cheaper and less hassle, but I have yet to find any for the BW transfer case that we all have here :crybaby2:
I put a 4:1 gearset in the Heep transfer case a while back, instead of the 2.72:1 it had stock, and noticed a BIG difference on the rocks and with engine braking on steep descents.
Maybe a look to see if any international (IE England) sellers make the gears for the transfer case? That way you could keep the stronger axle gears you have now.
Just a thought.....
Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I was just looking at their site Tim. Great minds etc.... :thumb:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Those 4.10's will only put you back to where you were stock, with 33's. This sounds good, but does not factor in the extra rotational forces to turn the wheels etc, and to compensate for any weight gain (the RR, not you....).
I would look at the 4.75's long and hard before throwing money down.
Just a suggestion from someone that has been there and done it with regears (wish I had gone lower...)

Martin

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
Wonder if the LT can be swapped into the P38, seeing as it came in Disco's too :think:

Diff's on the wrong side, if the case will work upside-down then maybe, but the crazy mounting pattern..

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Ahhh OK Dennis. Forgot about the diffs I guess. Minor detail huh :lol:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
roverrad found this little tidbit on the main site about the callaway engines... it may be pertinent here:

The electronic shift transfer case has a new ratio sprocket set and chain. The resulting new ratios provide a high range ratio of 1.294:1, and a low range ratio of 3.481:1. The ratio change improves acceleration performance in high range while also providing improved off-road "crawl" performance and coast down rates in low range.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
leftlanetruckin said:
Those 4.10's will only put you back to where you were stock, with 33's. This sounds good, but does not factor in the extra rotational forces to turn the wheels etc, and to compensate for any weight gain (the RR, not you....).
I would look at the 4.75's long and hard before throwing money down.
Just a suggestion from someone that has been there and done it with regears (wish I had gone lower...)

Martin

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, just needed someone to push me over the edge....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts